Chapter Six

Dad didn’t speak much for the rest of the day, but I was used to that. I slipped around the B&B, trying to pick up information without Dad freaking out because I was talking to actual people.

Most were worried. The missing patrol was a huge concern, but nobody knew if the group had run, been taken by vampires, or come across a gang rioting in the street. Danger could come from humans and supernaturals alike, but humans and supernaturals were also working together to protect what they held dear. Most people wanted one thing: for everything to go back to normal. I didn’t want my normal. I wanted a new life.

Bruce spotted me hovering in the doorway while he carried in some supplies. “Don’t just stand there. Help a man out.” He had been out in a police car, picking up food and stragglers. “The market’s on fire. What a waste.”

“What happened?”

“Probably looters. Sonia’s convinced the looters are working with the vampires, like they’re their little minions or something.” He sighed and handed me a box. “Tonight’s going to hit hard.”

“You think?”

“The river’s full of floaters.”

I stared at him.

“Dead bodies, Jess. Ripped up like they were devoured by animals. That river runs through a couple of towns before here. It could be hell on earth out there, and it’s getting closer to us.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“You can take it. And you know more than most of us. You’ve seen more, and Sonia needs you ready,” he said gruffly. “There aren’t enough remains, though. I’m just wondering where everyone else has gone.”

“Maybe they’re hiding, too. Or maybe… nothing was left behind.” I shivered.

He gave my shoulder a squeeze. “You’re strong and young. You can fight, and you’ve a good chance of survival. But don’t think this is going to be easy.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.”

His smile was weak. “I’m supposed to kit you out. The police scanners have been scrambled somehow, but we found some cheap short-range walkie-talkies that seem to be picking up transmissions.”

“Maybe it’s magic.” I shrugged at the quizzical look on his face. “I don’t know much about magic, but the air feels funny. Maybe there’s something messing with the airwaves. That must take a lot of effort, but if they just concentrate on the bigger stuff, maybe that’s enough of a disruption.”

He gave me a wide smile. “You’re a clever kid.”

“I’m definitely not clever. Do you think this has been planned for a long time?”

He exhaled loudly. “I would say so. Very strategic moves put into place so quickly that nobody’s had a chance to figure out what exactly is going on. Airports, docks, and communication... all cut off. Who knows what else is out there? I just wonder where we’ll be when it all shakes out.” He cleared his throat. “Don’t suppose we need bullet-proof vests.”

“You saw what she said on the telly. Cut off their heads. Silver and holy water will slow them down. Don’t get bitten." I lifted my shoulders into a shrug. "Probably not humans coming this way tonight.”

“Yeah, they’re probably too busy fighting off the same threat we are.”

“Maybe it would be better if everyone joined up then.”

“There’s nowhere big enough, not a place that can be easily defended, anyhow. And it’s harder to manage the fear and the personality clashes in larger groups. We’re better off in smaller groups. We can pick off whatever comes our way, but if we’re overrun, at least it isn’t the end of the human race. Of… every race.”