Chapter Thirty-Five

Last chapter!

Chapter Thirty-Five

Dad was getting better. He seemed stronger every day, to my relief. But I knew that him getting better meant us moving on soon. But we didn't have anywhere to go, and I still felt like someone was watching me whenever I went outside. Maybe I had just inherited Dad's paranoia.

Maybe not.

I checked a map and memorised the route to Ava’s home. It was easier than it had once been. If I needed to, I would go there. That would be my last option if anything happened. And something was definitely going to happen. I heard some of the others whispering nervously about rumours that vampires had been gathering in the area trying to track someone down. I was pretty certain somebody was looking for me.

Gerard sent me to the shops to pick up some things for Dad. But the feeling of being watched grew stronger, and I took a different route. Looking over my shoulder, I saw a hooded figure hiding in the shadows. I ran, and they followed suit. I had gotten used to the city though, and I soon slipped away.

I ran all the way home and went to Dad. He was sitting with Gerard.

“Someone’s been following me,” I blurted. “They showed themselves today, one of those hooded freaks who attacked us. I threw them off, but…I think they’re hunting me down, so we have to leave.”

“You’re sure?” Dad asked.

“Pretty sure. I’ve been kinda testing out the theory. Someone’s been following me. I know that much. I’ve gone different routes every day, and no matter what, I can feel their eyes on me. I try not to let them know I’ve spotted them, but they’re there.”

“Somebody’s been asking questions,” Gerard said. “Asking about a young girl. It might have been Jess. I didn’t hear it from the source, so I paid it no mind.” He gazed at me. “Maybe I should have. Some of the ones said to be asking questions are well known vampire volunteers.”

“Dad,” I said. “I know I never listen, and I always freak out about moving on, but I think we need to leave right now. I have a really strong feeling about this. Somebody’s watching me, and I don’t want to wait for them to make a move while you’re still recovering.”

“Don’t worry,” Gerard said. “We’ll sort you out with a car and some supplies. I don’t know where you’re going to go, but this new government might help you.”

“Unless they’re part of it,” Dad said. “One of them is fae royalty. According to you, a vampire queen is involved."

I gasped. "What?"

"This is why we can't trust them," Dad said softly. "The enemy has its hold here." He nodded at Gerard. "We came here to keep Jess out of the reach of both vampires and fae royalty. I won’t risk her. I think I know where to go. Out of Dublin and back to where Jess was born.”

I stared at him, surprised.

“I know the area better,” he said. “We’ll have some friends there.”

“Most of the trouble is concentrated in the cities,” Gerard said. “Heading away from the danger is your best bet. We can help you, Adam. That’s what we’re here for.”

“The war’s supposed to be over,” Dad said. “Both of them. But people are still hiding, and others are still hunting. But if we keep moving, we’re harder to find, so we're thankful for any help you can give us.”

Gerard worked miracles, and we were driving away from the safehouse within the hour. Dad’s injuries left him weak, but he could still drive. I stared out the window, desperately watching for someone who might be shadowing us, but I saw no one.