Chapter 9

I was grateful that the Kronthelm already understood what it was like to have a vampire in the village. I didn't need protection from the sun but everyone else in this merry wagon of fun did.

We'd been invited to stay until the negotiations were completed which meant that it could be a few days. We were given a communal hut to congregate and have our meals if we didn't want to join the tribe and we were also given smaller huts that were for sleeping in.

For now, we were trying to get through to the base.

Petersen was sitting at the table with one of the soldiers who was trying to relay information to the base. It was scratchy and they were struggling to get a clear signal.

"Can you hear me base three? This is eagle one,"

"Loud and clear eagle one." He interrupted.

Petersen sighed with relief.

"Send word to the king that we have made contact with the beta leader who is ready to negotiate. Tell him that Captain Beaumont needs to speak with him urgently about the details."

"Copy that."

Taking the handset, I clicked the button and hoped that it wouldn't cut out on me.

"Base three, it's Captain Beaumont. Ensure that his highness understands that it is important that I speak with him and going with plan b would be extremely ideal."

Plan b was him going to the base. Plan b was Emmeline going to the base as well.

"Add that the first creation of plan b should be included."

I hoped that he understood what I meant.

"Uh, okay." The soldier returned.

I handed the handset back to Petersen and turned. Merrick was standing behind me, a begrudging smile offered.

"Do you think she'll be happy?"

"No, Nava will be seriously pissed off. I know I would be."

Gus appeared at the doorway.

"The hour for rest grows near so, I will bid you a fond farewell and see you in the late afternoon."

With a tip of his head, Gus was gone again. I picked up my bag and looked at the rough map that had been drawn for me. The terrible guide to my shack.

Merrick was beside me, looking at his own map. They were drawn on little scraps of paper that were dirty and crumpled, done by Gus who was in a hurry to get them completed.

"Must be some kind of mistake." I murmured, looking up at an identical map.

We wandered out of the communal hut and found Gus lowering material covers over his windows. He gave us a smile and a nod as he tied the window cover down.

"We're in the same hut," I said.

"Yes. Do not worry about your status, they have no requirements for relationships here. You are free to love as you please."

"But we're not together. He's my guardian."

"Oh," Gus drawled out. "I guess they mistook what you meant when you told them your name. Protect my love," He offered with a cheesy grin. "They probably assumed that you two were together and unfortunately, the dawn is almost here. Many will be out for the morning hunt and those that remain won't have time to assist you in preparing another hut."

"But we're not together," I grumped.

"It's fine."

I turned to Merrick and wondered what was wrong with him. He shrugged.

"My job is to protect you. I will do a better job in the same room rather than one that might not be anywhere near here."

"Great. Do these things have showers?"

Gus grimaced as he shook his head.

"They use a lagoon that is not far away and quite safe. The path is shaded, I have walked it during the daytime."

"Just wonderful," I muttered under my breath, ignoring Merrick.

He had an inane grin on his face that said that he was loving every single minute of my suffering.

Stalking down the path, I found our place and opened the flap door. It was a simple area in a stone hut. The window flaps were tied down, offering no light into the area.

Merrick entered with a flaming torch, lighting the small space. It had a bed made of animal fur that made me want to gag.

"Can I protest?"

"No, you will offend them. Tribes see animals as a resource and they use every part of that resource. If you don't like what they have given then perhaps you'd like to sit outside. I'll be in here sleeping."

"But then you wouldn't be doing your job," I said smugly.

The light flickered against his unimpressed face.

"True however if you walk into an area where I cannot go while knowing why I can't, then I don't have to worry about you."

"Fine, whatever. I'm too tired to care. Where's the bathroom?"

"The nearest shrub is a few steps to the left outside the door."

"You cannot be serious." I hissed.

"What do you think they have here? Anything that the humans once had here is gone or no longer functioning. There are no sewerage plants to process the waste, they wouldn't even have running water. Accept that you're going to have a few days of roughing it and move on."

Merrick turned to put the torch down, lighting the small fire in the center of the hut. The smoke billowed to the small hole at the peak of the thatched roof. Dumping my bag, I found everything that I needed to wash and something to wear to bed. I needed to cool down otherwise I was going to go insane.

"Where are you going?"

"To the lagoon. I can't sleep when I'm hot and sticky."

With a huff, Merrick grabbed his things and doused the fire. I wanted to be alone, but apparently, that was never going to happen while we were here. A part of me was completely fine with that considering that it involved a lagoon and maybe stripping down to nothing but the other part of me just wished that he'd cut me some slack and give me a few minutes to breathe. I'd never been in a situation like this yet I bet that Merrick has done this before. He seemed to at ease with everything.