Chapter 3 - Hubris

"How?"

Your voice was low and meek. Your expression was that of denial- eyebrows furrowed, lips pursed and fists clenched.

Despite suffering from loss of aura and a few minor injuries, you were still able to look so furious. Pyrrha didn't exactly know how to react, only in silence.

Her face spoke volumes though- a stern look on her face. For the first time, those beautiful emerald hues stared back at you with disappointment.

She lets a sigh escape from her lips. The redhead had come to visit you to congratulate you for winning second place- after all, it wasn't any easy feat.

What she didn't expect was this faulty gamesmanship and complete disbelief dripping in your voice.

Massaging your temple, you sit up from the confines of your soft bed, only to wince. Damn, it hurt. Your whole body was aching.

You continue to shake your head.

"Impossible. You were the first one to-" Your voice was pained- reflecting your shattered pride, very much like broken glass on the floor.

"I'd hate to say this, but you have poor sportsmanship." She simply said, crossing her arms. This was a stark contrast to her usually kind, and urbane gaze. You felt yourself shrinking at her stare.

"What?" You huff. "I deserved that win. I worked hard everyday for this.." You glare back at her, but falter almost immediately. Your shoulders droop down, and you can't accept that fact that you're actually starting to feel shameful around this woman.

Pyrrha Nikos' frown grew deeper, and for some reason, you felt your insides ache at this. She heaves another sigh, but manages an empty smile.

"Losses can also be interpreted as a sign to try harder." She explains, giving you a pat on the back. "Take this as encouragement."

You sneer, but feel absolutely defeated. No words escape from your lips, and Pyrrha is somewhat thankful for that.

"If it's any consolation, I could give you some advice." Her voice sounded so sweet. You feel a light blush creeping up to your face, but continue to be indignant.

For someone you just met though, she was different from everybody else- a breath of fresh air, if you will. No other opponent would come visit you after your defeat. You'd expect them to wallow in their pride, and indulge in the win. Well- at least you would.

She takes the lack of a reply as a yes, and places a hand on your shoulder. You jolt up at this, but strangely relax at her soft gaze.

"You tend to work more exceptionally when you're fighting for someone." The redheaded warrior's smile turned into a wide grin. You can tell she had somebody in mind, and you swallow at this.

She had her arm on her chest- aa pensive look on her face. You could hear your heartbeat ringing in your ears- unable to look away.

"..Who do you fight for?" You ask dumbly, voice low and quiet. This snaps her out of her stupor.

"Right now, my family." Her answer came almost instantly, no hesitation. You feel your lips curl up into a small smile. "They've always been there for me. Since the beginning."

You nod at this, moved by the amount of love visible on her face.

With that expression, It made you realize how powerful love can be- Even to the point of breaking limits. You long to look at someone that way, similar to how she was.

The both of you basked in the silence, only for her to stand up, breaking the spell with the ugly screeching of her chair as she moved. You wince at this.

"Well, I'll have to go now. Congratulations, (Y/N). Good Luck."

You could only nod as she turned on her heel and out of the door.

Part of you wished you could feel the same way- a strong intensity in love.

Maybe soon.

~

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!
-imxssyou