CHAPTER ONE:

Written with nothing but love, adoration and respect for River Phoenix. I do not own him (obviously), or any other characters. I hope you enjoy x 

Los Angeles, 1989:
Nightclubs back home would be the furthest from my scene, in place of a 'night out', I would often opt for a 'night in' which more or less consisted of a takeaway delivered straight to my front door (saving me the need to change out of my pajamas or comfies); paired with a horror film. Town & drinks simply did nothing for me. But away on a girls holiday with my best friend, our first time visiting the states, she'd of managed to persuade me to try something new and give their nightlife a go; just for tonight. Waiting in line I would bounce energetically on the balls of my feet as I'd become restless due to the adrenaline I'd feel coursing through my veins, I'd practically talk my friends ear off as my eyes would dart around curiously to inspect my surroundings. Cars would creep by as the traffic would slowly move past the club, many of their inhabitants boringly casting their eyes towards the growing line that would of begun to curl down the street before the sun had finished setting. "Mm." I'd hum quietly to my friend as she'd tell me the duration we'd of so far spent simply standing around outside. I'd turn confidently on my heel, eyeing the growing line of people behind me as I'd crane my neck to see over people's heads when my eyes would fall on a particular person standing just in front of me. He'd have his head dipped slightly, his blonde hair falling in his face but his hand would come upwards as I'd clock this to move a strand away from his lips as he'd talk. He'd look to be part of a group of around four or five people, one of which would be a petite brunette girl and the rest males. Feeling myself stare, I'd turn back to face the front though my mind would wander; I'd note he'd look familiar. "He's nice, behind. In the Bob Marley shirt." I'd tell my friend quietly as I'd lean to talk into her ear, my fingertips holding my hair out of the way of my lips. In an effort to not seem obvious we'd both half turn our bodies as I had done before, our eyes surveying the line behind though I'd make sure to get in another look. "I'm bloody freezing stood out here." I'd state quite loudly to my friend, in an aim to alert the group behind me of my presence. I'd secretly be hoping for my words to be a conversation starter though American's my age so far had seemed a little standoffish. I'd merely receive a glance as one or two pairs of eyes would move to find the source of the voice, leaving me feeling a little lackluster until a pair of intensely beautiful eyes would settle on me. I'd bottle it in seconds, offering him a friendly little smile as he'd look at me, before moving to stand slightly turned to the side.

Not so cocky now, eh?