Chapter 18: Charmed, I'm Sure

A/N: Hi, guys! Ready for chapter 18!! So excited :D Enjoy, thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy this eventful chapter <3

Chapter 18: Charmed, I'm Sure 

   "Ethan?"

   "Toni?"

   I couldn't hold back my sigh of relief at hearing his voice. "Where are you now?"

   "At the Agency," was his response. I had no doubt that he'd get home fast, but would it be fast enough? "What's wrong, Toni?"

   "I need to talk to you. In person," I replied, practically clutching the cell phone to my body. "It's urgent. How fast do you think you can get here?"

   "To the apartments? About ten minutes... why?"

   I let out an impatient breath. "I just told you, Ethan. Please, just... We need to talk."

   There was silence – awkward silence – filling this conversation. After a few more quiet moments, Ethan's voice returned. "You're right, Toni. We do need to talk. I'll be right there." He hung up before I could ask what he meant. Ethan sounded different near the end of that conversation... what could've happened to change his mood so suddenly like that?

   I'd find out later, after I made sure that my best friend was okay and, more importantly, out of my uncle's evil clutches.

   My cell rang again, and I answered it without thinking to look at the caller ID. "Ethan, what-?"

   "Toni, it's me, Micah."

   Oh, Micah...

   Oh, right. I bit my lip. "Sorry, I'm just a little... out of sorts right now. I should've-"

   "No, no, it's okay, Toni," Micah reassured me with a slight chuckle. When the line was reduced to silence and static, I frowned and glanced at my screen in confusion. "Micah?"

   "Yes?"

   "Why are you calling?" I asked slowly. What I really wanted to know, though, was how he had gotten my number, but then I figured... Henri had something to do with it.

   "It-it's actually funny," he gave a little nervous laugh before clearing his throat and continuing. "Henri came to La Luna last night."

   "He did?" I questioned. "Was this before or after he killed all those girls?"

   "I swear, I had no idea about that, Toni!" Micah claimed in exasperation. "I was working that night. He and his twin came in acting all buddy-buddy and-"

   "Wait, wait," I interrupted, eyes painfully wide. "Henri and Gavin were... friendly to each other?" Something was definitely off with that vamp. Not that I could do anything to help.

   In fact, I was probably the reason behind Henri's strange behavior...

   "They weren't trying to kill each other, and that's what really set me off," Micah explained, his voice now heavy with concern. "Toni, I don't think you're safe around Henri anymore. He told me to tell you to stay away from him. From the whole clan, actually."

   "Did you tell him I would be too stubborn to listen to that?" I grumbled into the phone.

   "Of course," Micah sighed, "but he still wouldn't listen to me."

   I shut my mouth as I heard footsteps somewhere beneath me.

   Micah must've sensed it, too. "Wait, Toni! Don't hang up yet. Henri was-"