Understand, Please

If you know me... you'll get this..

It's another piece for funsies and not meant to be overly serious (but I suggest considering it).

Enjoy!

~DDN007

In our modern world, no one knows what to do. We constantly complain we are bored or when asked 'what'cha doing?' we reply with 'mehhhh nothing....' but why? We have no more purpose it seems. Our driving characteristics are missing and all we are doing about it is sitting and shrugging our shoulders.

We struggle in school for a tremendous amount of reasons. And to make it even more complicated, we struggle with different things to differing degrees. There's people who struggle in english (damn you debates), math (damn you numbers) and science (Damn you physics) and every other possible course we can take.

Yet, these course are necessities for our futures, some -like the examples above- are valued more then others and therefore considered more 'important'. But how do we fix this if everyone -teenagers, children, adults- all rather not know and rather spend time with friends playing some high action fight game?

We give them a high action fight game!

Dungeons and Dragons is a 'nerd' game, I know. But why is it a 'nerd' game? Media displays it as such because the players can't get a girl but is that all here really is to it? All the guys who can't get a girl play D&D?

For those of you who don't know, you need to make your own playable character, or PC, but to do that you need basic math skills for the skill stats, proficiency and so on. Then, after that is the damage. When you get a weapon with a crazy amount of enchantments or play a class (fighter type. There is nine in the handbook but homebrews (homemade anything that has to do with the game such as class race etc.) are everywhere.) that has a lot of spells with damage or can  deal large amounts of melee damage (Paladins can combine and do both of these, even at once)to do crazy damage. This makes a lot of damage to add together, and to subtract from you or the enemies health.

But there is more then just numbers and fighting. Some prefer the charismatic approach and rather talk a fight down (Or just taunt them to death, bards). In order to do that your character needs to be persuasive (and get good rolls). Think of the speaking interactions needed to get the big bad evil guy (BBEG) and into his liar for the best loot! There had been entire campaigns (A D&D arc) that because of someone wanting to talk things out, ended in the first session with the players still getting loot.  This helps with those English skills that are lacking due to lack of social interactions because all you 'nerds' are playing D&D.

Now I'll admit, a lot of spell casting classes say you need certain items in order to cast said spell such as a hoard of silver mirrors. These 'necessary'components would be your science! How? Well you put silver mirror A and frog tongue B together and you got a reaction of some sort. If you want the nitty-gritty science stuff of that explanation, it's a world of magic. It won't make complete sense. But remember how I cursed physics?" In this game it doesn't matter! So if you struggled and got a 60 like me you still won't be using it in your life!

So, now you know why Dungeons and Dragons is a nerd game. It has school in it, but masked as fun times with friends. How terrible is that? Then you have to choose out of races and classes and sub-classes to make a highly individualized character and who wants to do that? Only nerds have enough time for that. And to give them quirks and backstories! Too much!

Well it's good on them!

They're playing with paper, pencils and dice sets (yes sets. Many fall into an obsession.) while your there only messaging friends. Not like you see them. At least the nerds are improving themselves with something they enjoy with people they care about, not like the rest of you.