#7 The Deal

CHAPTER 7

Naina Parker

Naina looks at Asher after a few moments of stunned silence, amazed at the subtle way he removes his cap and sets it down on the side table. She tries to make sense of everything, but alas, nothing makes sense.

"What did you just say?"

Asher's expression remains the same despite her question. His lips twitch slightly upwards as he continues to gaze at her.

"You mean to say this place is the Zohra? The same one? The mafia group?"

The nod of acknowledgement she receives in return pulls the ground from underneath her feet. The strength drains from her, and Naina suddenly feels like she can't stand anymore. These people are the Zohra, the renowned mafia group? And all those shady looking guys lurking in and around the place, plus all that secrecy, this must be their HQ.

Now everything is making sense. She's inside the Zohra HQ! But then what the hell is Asher doing here, like he owns this place?

Wait... like he owns this place? Maybe he owns this place!

If what he says is true, then that would probably make him the Mafia Boss. What the heck!

"That can't be true. "

With the last ounce of hope left inside her, Naina looks at Asher dead in the eye. She may be shaken up here, but she still retains some amount of calm. She takes a few deep breaths. "That can't be true because no one knows where Zohra is, or how they operate."

"That's right." With a smug smile, Asher leans back into his chair, looking up at the ceiling. "You're the first one to ever step on this threshold. Consider yourself lucky."

"Why did you bring me here?" Naina can't help but grit her teeth as she questions him.

"A million-dollar question for you, isn't it?" That infuriating grin never drops from Asher's face, even as he turns to look at her. "You always keep asking me that, mohtarma."

Naina rolls her eyes, "because I need to know why you keep dragging me around, Mister Asher."

"Ahh, that's the thing, is it? Hmm..."

Naina continues to look at Asher, hoping he'd go on further after uttering those nonchalant words. Yet he says nothing and refuses to meet her eyes. He's staring holes into the ceiling again. Just what is he getting at?

It's almost impossible for Naina to keep calm anymore when he's like this, but she knows she must stay strong. That she's speaking to a Mafia man in his own place is enough of a shock, but who knows what will happen to her... Now that she's found her way into the Zohra, thanks to the man himself, is there any way out?

"I asked you something..." She questions him because talking is the only way to get herself out of here. If she can only somehow bargain a deal...

"Will you answer while looking at me?"

Asher sits up straight at the sound of her voice. He's up on his feet again, long legs carrying him to right in front of her.

"You wanted me to look at you?"

The lazy smile on his face nearly gives her goosebumps. Naina can't even deny the involuntary thought that strikes her swift as a storm — Asher is so handsome, so intense, nothing like Sam or any other men she met.

Well, she's never had this kind of encounter with any man before. She's never had a boyfriend. Her experience with boys is zero, which must be why she gets nervous seeing this man from up-close.