PROLOGUE

—A NEBULA COLLAPSED, a swirling storm of beautifully colored clouds of dust, helium, hydrogen gas, and plasma, crumbling, compressing and fusing a new star, a ball of furiously burning gas, shining so bright that it was immediately visible from e...

—A NEBULA COLLAPSED, a swirling storm of beautifully colored clouds of dust, helium, hydrogen gas, and plasma, crumbling, compressing and fusing a new star, a ball of furiously burning gas, shining so bright that it was immediately visible from earth, shining so bright that people thought it was the end of the world as they know it, and in a way it was. the star shone so bright it signaled the beginning of a great power, the beginning of the great prophecy (so said the great apollo). a star so special the fates had a special string of life, a string that appeared to be spindled from the milky way itself. a celestial being so bright that the olympian gods decided to give it a human form, and give her a human form they did. the gods gave the star a human body, in the form of a baby.

they could not keep the child on olympus, if they did she would not grow into the hero the world needed, so they decided to send her to earth, to a small camp on the bank of long island, new york. a camp created long ago for the shelter of their young half-mortal children, but to go there, she needed a patron, an olympian to claim them, to gift her with great powers, so she would have a home at camp. after a long council meeting, it was decided, after all, the child was a star, a child of the cosmos, what else better related to the stars than the moon?

so it was settled. artemis gladly took the young star to the camp, feeling nothing but joy for the honor of claiming this young girl, a future hero to nations, to the world. this child did not go against her oath, best to her wishes. she had a successor, one she was not connected to other than in the sense of celestial beings. so artemis blessed the girl, a silent gift to her new child. one of many young girls that artemis was sworn to protect, but she was special, she was her champion. artemis gave the girl to the centaur, chiron, explaining to him how she came to existence so that one day she, herself would know, leaving the child with a small charm bracelet that would become her greatest weapon, a small crescent moon hung from it, but in that moon's glory, the star's beside it made it seem insignificant.

artemis kissed the small child on her forehead, and before she left, whispered to chiron, 'her name is selene rigel.'

and then the baby star's eyes opened for the first time, revealing a dark blue so deep you could see the stars reflecting in them. and at this, in manhattan, new york, a small raven-haired, green-eyed, boy no older than sixteen months spoke his first word, 'selene.'

[N O W L O A D I N G ...]

ACT ONE

.