Emme's Audition

I thought things would be easier the second time around.

But nothing seems to be going according to Sophie's Plan. And it's all my fault.

I don't think there was ever a doubt that Sophie would get into to the vocal music program. How could she not? She's amazing. She got her acceptance letter right away . . . on the same day that I got my letter telling me that the admissions department was undecided on my application and I had to audition again.

While the CPA letter explained that the reasoning was that they had an "overwhelming" number of applicants for the music composition program's inaugural year, I knew the truth: I wasn't good enough.

I try to hold back the tears that are creeping up. What would the admissions team think if I walked onto the stage in tears? Probably not the best idea.

But I've wanted to go to CPA since I was little. I've wanted this for so long.

And I don't want to disappoint Sophie.

Going to CPA together has been our goal since we first met, when we were eight and both performing at a youth talent show in Prospect Park. I played an original song I wrote on the piano. Sophie sang "Over the Rainbow." But Sophie doesn't just sing, she Sings with a capital S. She opens her mouth and time stops. I haven't met a single person who hasn't been mesmerized by her voice and her stage presence.

She even had it back when we were eight. I'll never forget her coming up to me afterward with her gold medal around her neck (I got the silver). She didn't even introduce herself - she didn't need to, everyone there knew who she was. She simply said, "Hi, I like your song. You should write one with words and I'll sing it for you." We've been a team ever since.

It's Sophie who's been my biggest cheerleader from the very beginning. She was the one that planted the seed years ago about going to CPA. We'd be an unstoppable force, a dynamic duo, the greatest singer-and-songwriter team that CPA has ever seen.

But thanks to me, our team is in serious jeopardy.

"Emme Connelly."

My name is called and I try to steady myself as I walk onto the stage.

I try to block out all the doubting thoughts in my head.

I can do it.

I can do it.

I can do it.

This isn't just about me. It's about Sophie.

And if I'm not sure I can do it for me, I know I can do it for her.