Chapter 6

THIS. CHAPTER. HAS. MATURE. CONTENT.

*cough cough* here comes the smut.

___________________________

CLARA'S POV

"He's a what?" Manda screeched, a look of pure shock on her face. She was sitting in between Mikayla and I at our favorite local bar and she looked just as stunned as she did the first time I explained what happened - two hours ago. The only difference now was that there was more alcohol in her system and her words were getting louder.

"Can you keep your voice down?" Mikayla hushed her, annoyance coating her tone as she glared angrily at our friend. "You never know who could be listening!" 

Manda slapped a hand over her own mouth and she tried to discretely search the area around us. 

It wasn't unheard of for hunters and shadows to lurk around Glamorous since it was a well-known safe haven in the underground world for supernatural creatures. The price for getting in was high along with the security, and unless a human was the mate, soulmate, or pair of a supernatural creature, there was a very slim chance they would ever enter. If they somehow were able to get in, though it was practically guaranteed they would never leave - alive that is. 

Mikayla stared at Manda in utter exasperation while we watched her discretely shift in her seat to get a better look at the crowded space. 

Unfortunately for us, the words 'Manda' and 'discrete' never go hand-in-hand when alcohol is involved. Her eyes were bugged out and her lips were pursed, making her look both afraid and unsettling. 

I held back a snort, watching as she made eye contact with the unsuspecting people unlucky enough to meet her gaze while Mikayla nearly choked on her drink after catching sight of her face. A pixie sitting at a booth behind us looked so uncomfortable at Manda's stare that she actually got out of her seat and left the area. Manda knew how to make a situation awkward, I'll give her that. 

'If anyone asks, we found her abandoned outside,' Mikayla's thoughts came unbidden in my head.

I chuckled and nodded, taking a sip of the beer that sat relatively untouched in front of me. The three of us agreed we would all need drinks for this conversation once I began explaining what happened with Chase. Even I was still feeling pretty shaken up about finding out my boss's son...

Was a vampire.

It left me with so many unanswered questions, making me restless and uncertain of how to handle the situation. A feeling that didn't sit well with me. I still couldn't get over the danger I'd been putting myself in for years without even realizing it. 

The entire time I'd been working for Venice Dawson something could've happened; a paper cut, a nosebleed, anything that might've caused me to accidentally expose my blood in front of Venice could have cost me my life because there was no way his son was a vampire and he wasn't. 

Vampires were especially drawn to watcher blood, though I don't exactly know why. My mother used to tell me that if a vampire bit me something horrible would happen. The vampire would become addicted to our blood stopping at nothing to get another taste, even if it meant killing us and the rest of our family in the process. She said that not even our amulets would protect a watcher from a vampire if they ever found out what we were. 

I guess I should count myself lucky that my boss was just as oblivious as I had been? Although it wasn't that big of a surprise. This was Venice, after all.