Part 1

I didn't know when it happened. I just know he was always there. I don't really want him to be but I don't think I was given a choice. I've always been told I was a special child. Though I'm sure my family didn't mean in the sense that I have come to know it as. I don't know how he came to be.

The first time I saw him I didn't really know how to react. He was just a shadow then, didn't really say much. but when I was 7 at school I saw a bunch of bullies picking on my friend and then blank. The next thing I recall is a shadow standing next to me and the yard duty yelling at me. Minutes later I was being suspended for something I couldn't remember doing. 

It happened on and off through my childhood. When I would get really mad or protective, I would end up blacking out and not being able to recall what happened. One day the shadow spoke to me and told me his name, but wouldn't answer any of my questions. He said his name was Cross and since then he's annoyed me every day.

***************************************************************************************

My name is Zara Flint. I'm now 17 years old and dealing with life. Well except when your least favorite lesson is going on and Cross is making jokes in my ear to make it bearable. The problem with that is the fact that people give me weird looks sense I'm laughing at things they can't hear.  The class finally was coming to the end and the teacher told us to read the next chapters and then take the quiz online by midnight. I threw everything into my bag and waited for everyone else to leave first, mainly due to the fact I didn't want to hear the insults about me. 

"Ms. Flint? May I speak to you for a moment?" I turned to look at my teacher Ms. Saten. She was probably the only teacher who was nice to me about my "issues". "Yes, ma'am." I walked over to her desk and waited for her to tell me off for giggling at cyclopes trying to kill the main character. "Zara, I would like you to show a new kid the ropes tomorrow, but you will have to try and not have an episode. Can you do that?" I stared at her for a minute wondering why the hell she would even want me, "class freak" to be anywhere near new students. "Ma'am I don't think that would be a good idea, my track record around people isn't the best." No shit it's not the best. No one likes to be around the people who are believed to be crazy. Zara tried to not flinch as the voice filled her mind. She tried to focus on her teacher. "I know that you aren't very good at your people skills, but I would rather it be you than anyone else. You have the highest grade in all your classes. He will be in all of yours might also give you a chance to have a friend." Zara couldn't stop the cold feeling that ran through her body or block out Cross's angry-sounding growl. "Ma'am I can give it a try, but I don't think it will end well." Ms. Saten smiled. "That is all I ask of you."

Zara left the classroom and headed for the buses. She got on, sat down in the front just so no one would notice her talking to Cross, who had materialized next to her. He was no longer a shadow but looked like a normal kind of person. She had given up trying to ignore him after 7th grade. It never worked. So now you have to play nice to the new kid? Zara glared at him. Don't try and be difficult about it, it is your fault my life is lacking in the social department! Cross only shrugged. Not my fault that everyone that comes near you seems to have bad intentions. You can thank me whenever for keeping you safe. She looked out the window trying not to let her anger get the better of her. Never asked to be kept safe! Rather just be normal, but for some reason, you are still bugging me and just won't go back to were you came from in the first place! The bus came to a stop in front of her house, she jumped up and went right thru Cross making him disappear for the time being. She blared her music thru her headphones trying not to think about things to come tomorrow.