Homecoming

Feeling anew, I got off the train, I miss this place. Its refreshing scent, breath-taking mountian views, cool air, leaves bristling, they all start to fill my senses. I'm so glad mom and dad agreed that I finish the rest of my senior high here. I hope to God that my friends still know me, the talkative Mei, the twins, Ari and Eri, and Shay, my sweet Shay. I still go back to those days where I can hear her play the piano, those carefree smiles, her radiant face that light up everyone.

"We're here." My reverie was cut short by the taxi driver.

"Oh, thanks." I said as I handed the money.

I went straight to the room I rented, I guess it's okay. The water's running, electricity's constant, so no problem with brownouts, and it's a wifi hot spot.  After hours of unpacking, I decided to take a break and eat lunch.

"Curse it! Of all things I forget, my can opener! "

I went outside to borrow from the landlady.

"Hayato? Hayato-kun, is that you?"

"Mei!"

Then she gave me those surprise hugs. Mei has really matured, she doesn't have those silly braids and glasses. She transformed from a nerd to a pretty woman.

"What happened to your glasses?"

We spent the rest of the day, talking. Well she did all the talk, I just listened.

***

"Hayato-kun, wake up! It's past 8:30, we should be at school by now."

"Sorry! I'm coming."

Mei and I rode the bus to school. Because of Mei, I ended up sleeping in the bus.

"Seriously Hayato, Don't stay up late if you can't wake up early."

"It's your fault you made me stay up till 11."

"Whatever."

"Mei!" That distant voice seems familiar.

"Man, when did you get back?"

"Ari! Eri! Well you guys matured."

"I don't think so, some girls here are still flat as a board."

Then a rumble began.

***

"Eri, can you accompany me to the faculty?"

"Who was that?"

I guess that I said it louder that I should have, because I felt a stinging pain in my cheeks.

"I didn't realize you'll forget her."

"Who the heck is she? Why did she slap me?"

They all looked at me like I'm some green alien from some unknown planet.

"That was Shay."

Huh? That's impossible. The Shay I know always smiles and that Shay is so melancholy. What happened?

I didn't see Shay for the rest of day.

"Ari, I'll be leaving early, I've got some place to go to."

"But-"

I didn't hear the rest of the sentence because I'm already inside the bus. I really need to say sorry to Shay. I haven't forgotten her. It's just, she’s so different now.

"Welcome. You know where Shay's room is, just go there." Her uncle welcomed me. Where are her parents?

I walked to the long hallways of the Tomoyo household and turned right in the 3rd room.

"Shay? Are you there?"

No answer. I returned to the room. I felt my cheeks flush. Her room is so clean and organized. Some fluffy stuff toys and books are at her bed. I heard the water dripping from the bathroom. I waited for her to come out.

An hour has passed but she's still inside. I heard girls tend to bathe longer but this is just too long. She might get sick.

"Shay, are you there?"

No answer. Panic surged through me. I forced the door to open. Then I saw it. The water is dripping together with the crimsom liquid fluid flowing on her wrist. Her face was contorted by pain and suffering. Why?

***

"Hayato?" Someone poked my cheeks.

"Shay." I hugged her. "Why?"

"I just can't take it. You've forgotten me. My life went upside down. Mom and dad died in a fire a year after you left. Now I'm left under my uncle’s care, who treats me like homework he's forced to do. Nobody cares what happens to me."

"I do. I care."

"No. You've forgotten me."

"I didn't. All those years I dreamt of you every single night, cursing myself why I didn't confess before I left. Shay, I'll never forget you. You are my life. I love you Shay."

"I love you too Hayato."

We silently hugged each other inside this small hospital ward.