Just a Nurse

"I said I'm fine," Howard Stark complained as he was escorted into the hospital by Agent Carter.

Most of the nurses bustling around seemed to freeze in place, intrigued, and flustered by the handsome man, except Catherine. She was by the medicine shelf, with a clipboard, too immersed in finishing the monthly supplies report, since it was due later that day.

"Nurse Goldie," Peggy called.

Catherine stopped what she was writing and looked up, a bit startled by the familiar British voice. Was she in trouble?

"Y- yes?" she asked handing off the clipboard and pen and hurrying over to the woman.

"I need you to check over Mr. Stark, he was caught in an unfortunate blast." She was holding onto the man's arm tightly.

"I'm fine," he insisted pulling his arm away from Peggy and looking over at Catherine. A smirk rose onto his lips as he coolly shoved his hands into his pockets and tilted his head to the side. "Goldie, huh?"

"Um-" She was unsure on what to say. She was beyond clueless. She surprised by the fact people like Agent Carter caught onto the nickname.

"Howard," said offering his hand to her. "You have probably heard of me."

"Sure," Catherine replied. By now, the flustered feeling of having a man flirt with her had long faded. She figured, most soldiers were just bored and looking for a good time.

A Time Catherine was not up for offering them. She gave his hand a shake and then glanced behind her to see if there were any open beds. "I'm afraid there isn't much room," she said looking past Howard and over to Peggy.

"You know," Howard started. "I think you are right, Carter. I do need to be looked over."

Now, that did cause Catherine to blush, but she suppressed it. He is not an exception, she thought to herself. But, she did admit, it was kind of flattering. Even if he went after anything with two legs and a skirt.

"He can stand," Peggy said, rolling her eyes at Howard.

Catherine nodded and held out an arm. "Right this way then."

Howard followed her as she made her way towards a place that wasn't every crowded. "So, do have a first name or do you want me to guess it?" He continued as she told him to unbutton his shirt.

"It doesn't make a difference," she replied as he slipped off the shirt. She ignored the fact a crowd of nurses was beginning to form. Most doing some unnecessary things just to stand and watch.

The physical was quick, she made sure of it.

"There's nothing wrong," she said delivering him back to Peggy who was waiting in the same spot they left her.

"What did I tell you?" He asked a cocky grin on his face.

"Please remember, Howard, you aren't invincible." She turned on her foot and exited the hospital. Howard was quick to follow.

Catherine was left standing there a bit taken back. Patty stopped beside her and looked at the door. "I'd stay away from that one," she remarked giving Catherine a look. "I heard he's trouble."

"What kind of stuff do you think goes on in the SSR building?" she asked dazedly.

"I don't know," Patty replied looking at Catherine. "Nothing we would understand."

"Yea," she agreed with a quick nod. "You are probably right."

She grabbed the clipboard back and went on filling out the inventory report with her mind reeling with questions. Catherine knew she couldn't begin comprehend all the science stuff, but that didn't put her curiosity at ease and for the next few days that's all she wondered about. Which is why she jumped at the chance to pay a visit to the SSR building.