Twenty Nine.

I third wheel with Riley and Farkle a lot. Since I've started hanging out with them he insists on me using his first name. I'm still getting used to it. He also insists that I'm not bothering them, even though I know it's annoying that I'm always around.

Tonight we are going to the batting cages. It's late November, which means it's too cold to do anything outside. Farkle says the batting cages are a lot of fun, Riley and I are skeptical. When we get there Zay is inside, and he waves to us as we walk over.

"We invited him, is that okay?" Riley asks.

I start to nod but then I realize they are trying to set us up.

"He thinks you're really cute" She squeals.

"And funny!" Farkle adds.

I can't help but laugh at their attempt. "Okay" I smile, shaking my head.

I've never thought about Zay like that. I only ever thought I liked Josh... but I was wrong about that so why couldn't I be wrong about this? Zay hugs Riley and I when we reach him. Riley makes faces as me when he engulfs me in his arms.

"Hey" I say when he pulls away.

"Hi. You ever been to a batting cage before?" He asks.

"Can't say that I have"

"Well you're in for some fun tonight!" He leads us over to the cages.

We spend the night hitting, or in Riley's case attempting to hit, baseballs. She has never been the athletic type but she tries her best. Farkle has to do that cute movie thing where he stands behind her and shows her how to bat correctly. We cheer so loud when she hits the ball by herself. I actually do surprisingly well.

"You so lied about never batting before!" Zay yells.

I grin. "I SO did not!"

"Beginners luck!" Farkle shouts from the cage next to us.

"I'm just a natural" I joke, flipping my hair over my shoulder.

I hit the next ball hard.

Zay claps for me. "Damn we got a slugger over here!"

I bow and crack up when my helmet falls to the floor.

After a couple more hits Riley suggests we go to get hot chocolates at a cafe nearby. We all agree and bundle up in our coats and scarves. The walk is short but cold so the burst of warm air as we enter the store feels so great. Farkle orders us hot chocolates with whipped cream and we sit by a fireplace sipping them.

"That was actually so fun" I exclaim.

Zay smiles. "You did well, Slugger"

"Some of us had a hard time" Riley pouts.

"But we still had fun didn't we?" Farkle says, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

When she kisses him on the cheek Zay and I make grossed out faces at each other.

"Shut up!" Riley giggles.

"We didn't say anything!"

The boys walk us back to our apartment even though it's out of their way.

"Such gentlemen" I say as we reach our door.

Riley and Farkle are hugging and whispering to each other when Zay pulls me aside.

"Hey, so I know you were surprised by the whole set up thing. I told them to tell you I would be there."

"Don't worry about it I had a lot of fun!"

I actually mean it.

"Listen I know you like Lucas" He blurts, then looks down and fiddles with his gloves.

I'm caught off guard. "What?"

He goes, "Look, that night you came to the house you weren't just there to say hi or something. I saw you run out that door so fast. When Missy left the next morning I figured you saw her and that's why you were so upset."

"I um" I hold my breath. "You can't tell anyone okay? Riley doesn't even know... no one knows."

"Your secret is safe with me." He smiles. "Just for the record Lucas talks about you all the time... the beautiful blonde artist."

My heart beats so fast and hard I swear he can hear it.

"He's lucky you know, you really are amazing. I've known that since the night you kicked my ass in pong." He's grinning now.

I smile back. Zay is such a great guy. I reach up to hug him. He squeezes me then whispers in my ear, "Think of me if things don't work out?"

He pulls away and I nod, "Definitely."