Chapter 1

Breathe in, breathe out.

It was time to leave everything behind to start anew. Fortunately, my dad got promoted and reassigned to an office situated a thousand miles from where we lived.

I'd like to think that timing was in my favor because it was only about a week ago that I had my heart broken for a bet made by Walter Gaines, an egoistic asshole, with his friends.

Despite this, however, our family moving from urban Chicago, Illinois to sunny Malibu, California meant leaving the life I've made for myself and the friends that I met along the way. It was the price I had to pay for the fresh start I strongly desired.

Taking a deep breath, I sealed the last box of belongings that I wanted to bring to Malibu where I'll be spending my senior year in high school. If things proceed as planned, I'll be enrolling myself at Stanford where I'll be pursuing my college degree.

I gave the bedroom I had growing up one last look, bidding farewell to the lavender walls I painted myself. My parents were already in the van, waiting for me and my 10 year old brother Isaiah.

Once I hopped in on the van, my mom turned around from the passenger seat to look at me with a radiant smile on her face. For a few seconds, it actually made me genuinely happy. I had no intention to tell my parents about what happened with me and Walter Gaines. As far as they are concerned, we were just friends who wanted to get to know each other after being paired up for a science project. To think of it, Walter got an A+ as well despite me doing most of the work.

"Athena, I know that you might not remember much since you were only seven years old the last time we were in Malibu but I know that you're gonna love it there!" Mom assures me, I forced a smile in return. The last thing I wanted was to make her feel worried.

"I do hope that Uncle Jon, Aunt Viv and Sophie are the same as how I remember them" I tell her. From what I remember, my parents left me with them for two weeks to go on another honeymoon back when Isaiah did not exist. During that time, I was fed with nothing but the best of the best with Aunt Viv's cooking. At sunrise, Sophie and I would make sandcastles and swim at the beach which was right behind their house. To think that we were gonna soon live like that with their house right beside our new one kind of excites me.

"And I'm sure Isaiah will love it as much as you did" Mom retorts, finally leaning back at her own seat.

"How long's this trip gonna be anyway" Isaiah whines, evidently agitated. I understood him, I can't believe our family decided to drive all the way to Malibu instead of getting a plane ride which was probably the more practical thing to do. I was tired to argue so, I decided to sleep my way through the first five hours of the drive.

Fortunately, my brother did the same so I was able to get the rest I needed from cram packing the last batch of things I wanted to bring with me. By the time I woke up, we were parked outside a diner and the sun was strikingly radiant and its heat unbearable.

I gave my dad a look from the front mirror. I could see that he had a rough night as well. So, we decided to switch places just so that he could get some shut eye.

My mom and my little brother were sound asleep. Soon after, my dad was as well and I was left alone to drive a stick shift van with my family in it. So, for five hours, I was left alone with my thoughts and the robotic voice of my dad's GPS.

•••

After what seemed like endless hours, we finally arrived at California. I got myself out of the driver's seat and stretched as much as I could. I made a mental note to myself to never volunteer to drive a stick shift vehicle ever again. I rolled down the window and looked at myself from the side mirror. My eyes have grown tired and teary-eyed.

We stopped by a local diner for late dinner. My dad was in disbelief that I've covered a huge amount of distance while they were asleep, saying that I was a better driver than he was. I just chuckled this off, trying not to let the comment get me.

I guess, if I can handle driving a stick shift at a long distance, I can handle anything and that includes healing the pain of a broken heart.

I smile at this as a surge of optimism rushes through me. Maybe, just maybe, things are going to continue to turn in my favor.