Chapter 1

Darkness...

It was something he had gotten used to since that night. Except, that night, he was scared, but now, it was fear with a hint of curiosity. He advanced further into the darkness until he saw a red glow. It kept getting closer, closer, closer, until...

He awoke from his slumber to the familiar chiming of his alarm. He sighed to himself and buried his face in his palms.

In about fifteen minutes, he was out of The McKing Manor, the place he called home all his life; once happy and bright, now desolate and grey. He noticed the police car parked at the gate. The two cops were asleep, their caps covering their eyes. Incompetent bunch, those guys.

The walk to Crestville High was short and quiet. Short because the Manor wasn't that far from the school; quiet because he always walked alone.

The school was a rather large one, probably because it was grouped into two; Crestville Junior High to the right and Senior High to the left. He glanced at his left before advancing towards Crestville Junior High.

As soon as he entered, there was an air of creepy tranquility. As he passed, whispers followed. Again, he sighed and closed his icy blue eyes, ignoring them.

"You'd think they'd stop with this nonsense. It's getting old," he thought.

He opened his locker and gathered his things. On his way to class, he noticed some kids surrounding a scrawny boy.

The obvious leader of the bullies stood tallest amongst them all. Shaggy brown hair, beady little eyes, and punk clothes; your typical bully.

There was a time when he'd consider dropping his things and running to the scrawny kid's aid. He might get beat up too but he wouldn't care.

Those were good times...

He was happy then...

He always had a cheerful smile on his face then...

He had parents then...

He must have been staring for a while because the leader of the bullies turned towards him and asked, "What are you looking at, kid?"

His name was Kevin or so; Kevin Jones.

Apparently, Kevin didn't know who he was. He ignored the question and quickened his steps to class. On entering the class, conversations went to the bare minimum.

All eyes on him again.

When it started, they pretended they weren't staring, but now, they didn't try to hide it anymore. He walked to the back of the class and sat there; no surprise.

A few moments later, Mr. Johnson entered the class. He was an old withered man who you'd expect to be in an elderly home or something. He looked a lot like the subject he taught... history.

Although rumor has it that he wasn't actually old, he was exposed to a radioactive explosion that just made him appear old.

That would explain his unusual agility for an old man.

«»

It had become some sort of routine for him; day in, day out: Go to school, attend classes, answer no questions, do enough to pass the exams but not pass excellently, be okay in gym class, eat the basic food in the cafeteria, anything to attract as little attention as possible.

But all it did was attract more attention.

He didn't ask for it, he didn't want it. He just wanted to be left alone with his thoughts.

Which was why he was currently ignoring the smiling redhead across his cafeteria table. But for some reason, she wouldn't go away. After drinking his juice box, he sighed and finally acknowledged her.