Chapter 12 - "Promise"

Chapter 12 - Promise

This world is cruel. Unforgiving and unbearable. We live under a lie, a lie that everyone believes. A free bird leaps. on the back of the wind. It floats downstream. Till the current ends. and dips it's wings. In the orange sun rays. And dares to claim the sky.

If only it were that easy...

One.

We are shot up into the air as the platform rises so suddenly. It is so fast and powerful that my whole body, along with the others are plunged onto the floor by force. A quick 5 seconds and it stops.

Getting up quickly, I examine my surroundings. We are on a beach. Sand that covers miles from left to right, and behind us is a massive forest of trees. I look out at the sea, it's like a blue world stretched out past what eyes can see. AJ immediately makes a run for it to the trees and no one dares to stop him. I look for a Cornucopia, a place that has weapons and packs like in the first games. But nothing, there was nothing.

"There's no weapons!" I hear Hongki yell. And with that his eyes dart over to me aggressively. I can sense by his body language that he is going to attack, with or without weapons. His hands clutch into fists and he takes a step.

I grab onto Jessica's lower arm and she looks up to me, scared. "Run." I say.

We both make a run for it to the trees, me basically dragging her as I sprint. Rocks fly past our heads and Jessica screams. "They're throwing rocks, run faster!"

I grip onto her arm even tighter. "I am running fast god dammit." And with that we make it to the forest, We run so far dodging every tree that passes. I hide behind a tree and take deep breaths, glancing back trying to see if Hongki would follow after. But I am pretty sure that we are a good distance away from them.

"I don't want to do this!!!" I hear Hongki scream out angrily In the far distance. He's no where in sight.

My heart stops beating for a moment. And within that moment i hear silence. I close my eyes and listen- listen to nothing but the peaceful silence. I open my eyes and the moment is suddenly real again. My heart starts beating and I take huge breaths.

I cough out and whisper to myself. "I don't want to do this either"

A hand is placed onto my shoulder and I jump. "What did you say Minho?" Jessica questions with a gentle voice.

I turn and shake me head. "We must leave, now. We have to leave this place"

"But Minho, it's not that simple.."

"No. I can't be here, I can't do this we have to leave." I argue.

Jessica is suddenly in tears. "We can't Minho you know we can't!" She cries. "We are stuck here.. we have to kill the others" she grabs onto me hopelessly and continues to cry.

I can feel tears forming up in that back of my eyes ready to fall out as well but I hold them back. I close my eyes again and listen to the silence. I can feel Jessica fidget with my body but the silence tells me to ignore it. I open my eyes and stare at her. Her eyes are swollen and her face is pale. She's in tears already? We've only been here for about 10 minutes and she's already in pain. She's in pain again and it's again because of me.

"I heard you Minho" she cries miserably. "I don't want to do this either.. I don't want to be here again."

I can't reply. I stand there hopelessly with no words or emotions. What do I say to her? It's going to be okay Jessica? You won't have to kill anyone Jessica? This is all just a crazy nightmare Jessica. What else should I say, how about an I Love you Jessica? No. Everything there is to say that will make her feel better is a lie. It's a lie it's all a lie!