Chapter 1

Aisha’s POV

I leaned back in my chair and let out a huge puff of breath which blew my fringe up into the air, before it fell and rested back in its original position. I took another pitiful look at my drawing and cringed at it. It was terrible. Today just didn’t seem to be my day and I guess I was currently still trying to get out of my block.

I hadn’t drawn anything in 2 weeks! And now I can see why. I knew that staring at it wouldn’t help make it look any better, so I decided to fix it later when I was feeling more myself. Before stuffing it in my draw with my ‘need to be fixed drawings’, I quickly signed my name at the bottom and unconsciously wrote “To ZM” at the top.

I didn’t know who ZM was, but I guess it might have been my childhood imaginary friend. I’ve been drawing since I could hold a pencil and it just became a habit to sign my drawings “To ZM” at the top left corner. Amara is the only one who has noticed this habit of mine, when she walked in while I was drawing and took a look at all of the sketches that were scattered all over my desk. She is the only person who has actually seen my drawings.

When I was little, I used to show my parents my drawings, but being an Indian sometimes means that your parents don’t appreciate art, and prefer you to do well in the more academic subjects. I was never the type to displease my parents, so I worked on my maths and science so that I could give them something to be proud of.

The only drawings of mine that other people have seen were the ones we had to draw for school, like the biological drawings we do in practical work. My friends had seen them and always commended me on my artistic abilities. I didn’t like when people looked at my personal art, because my art for me was like my journal. It told a story of my life; each one a different tale of a struggling teenage girl.

Luckily most of the time people never understood my work, so they never knew what I was going through. My friends suggested that I do Art as a subject in school since I was ‘talented.’ A part of me actually thought it was a good idea; I would just have to make sure I didn’t make my art too personal like I usually do.

But when mum saw Art on my list of subjects she snapped at me like I had committed the world’s biggest sin. She didn’t regard it as a subject and neither did my dad, so I just decided not to push it any further and agreed with their view on Art. Since then, I had made sure to make my Art a secret from my parents.

I checked the time and realised that I had been drawing for the last hour and a half. It was getting late and I almost missed my prayer. Gosh, I can’t believe I wasted so much time on such a horrid picture. I managed to make my prayer in time, luckily, and made a promise to be more conscious of the time when I drew something again.

It was getting close to dinner, so I quickly finished my homework and went to the kitchen to help mum with supper. I dragged my slipper clad feet into the kitchen and was surprised when I found it empty. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was the usual time that I helped mum prepare supper. Confused, I concluded that she probably lost track of time and I went to her room to ask her what I should start making.

I was halfway to her room and I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard my mum crying and realised why she didn’t come to the kitchen. I knew dad was in the room even though he was as quiet as a cricket when someone walks past it. I sighed and slapped my forehead at how naïve I must have seemed. Just imagine how bad it would look if I had actually walked in on their fight?

I shuffled back into the kitchen and just decided to make myself a cup of cappuccino to ease the headache that was creeping its way in. I let out a sigh of appreciation as I swallowed the last drop, savouring the taste it left on my tongue. I closed my eyes and I must have looked like a love-drunk fool because I heard my dad chuckling behind me.