Chapter 3

They all sat down and they brought some food from the minivan they travelled in, they gave some to Lizzie and Mike, Greg and Maggie all shared some too. Mike made a little safe fire in the corner to keep them all warm whilst Greg boarded up the windows so they couldn’t advertise their whereabouts. Mike gave his jacket to Lizzie so that she wouldn’t be cold and Greg and Maggie were cozied up to each other by the fire. To make Lizzie feel comfortable with them they all said a little bit about themselves, “Well, I shall start shouldn’t I? I’m Mike, I’m 29 years old and I’m a policeman.” Then Greg went after, “Hi! I’m Greg, I’m 22 and this is my girlfriend Maggie, she is 20 and she’s learning to be a doctor” Greg and Maggie smile at each other.

Lizzie felt as if she they already were family. She replied, “I’m 9, I like to play with my Barbie dolls, one of them is called Cindy, do you want to see her?” Lizzie pulls out her favourite Barbie doll and shows the others. “Do you like her?” Lizzie said in an excited voice, Maggie answered, “Yes, she is very beautiful!” Lizzie smiled and hugged her doll tightly, but then she appeared to have a sad look on her small face, “What’s wrong?” questioned Mike. She mumbled, “I miss my mummy, I don’t know where she is, do you think she’ll be ok?” Mike had a worried look then he said, “I’m sure she’s ok! But till now, I’ll look after you - and Cindy.” He smiled weakly. Lizzie hugged him and went back to playing with her doll. As half an hour pasted they were all fast asleep next to each other.