Introduction

What you are about to read challenges many of the things you assume to be true about the Star Wars Saga.

Shot-for-shot, line-for-line, this story retraces the familiar steps of the franchise (especially Episodes III and IV), and disagrees with none of what you've seen. Yet in the spaces between those iconic moments, you will see that many of the truths we cling to—about the Star Wars you think you know—depend greatly on our own point of view.

I'm grateful to George Lucas for giving me this sandbox to play in, and to Disney/Lucasfilm for being more accepting of Star Wars fanfic than they have to be. Fanfiction is a wonderful way for indie authors to reach out to a new community of readers and fans. If you enjoy what I've written here, please check out and support my original fiction: THE SEASON OF THE PLOUGH, my début fantasy novel, was published by Cynehelm Press in July 2019, and needs all the help it can get. Writing fanfic is a labour of love; but if you like my work and want to support it, give my original novel a try! 

THE SEASON OF THE PLOUGH in ebook & print: http://bit.ly/SotP-eBook

A WORD ON SOURCES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This story leans heaviest on "Star Wars" (1977), the movie we all know and love. But I couldn't have written it without Brian Daley's now-rare National Public Radio broadcast of Star Wars, and without substantial details drawn from the other films, including Rogue One, Solo, and even the Holiday Special. I think the two Ewok TV movies were the only ones not relied on here. Even a few references to the Droids cartoon slip in. I've also drawn on material in Star Wars: Rebels and The Clone Wars, from the licensed Marvel comics (both form the late 1970s and the 2015 run). I've referred to materials in the d6 and d20 roleplaying games, the X-Wing and Jedi Knight video game franchises.

Above all, I'd like to thank the fan community maintaining Wookieepedia, and for doing a ton of my research for me. I couldn't have (re)told this story without you.

Thanks so much for your time and support! Now, with that out of the way, let's begin with the sacred words, as we have been taught:

a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. . . .