Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"I am XIX. I am a part of Michelle as she is a part of me." Jeremy was solemn as he said those. Judy was behind Sanders, observing but never asking any question. There was a long silence; Jeremy's labored breathing could be heard amidst the silence.

"And you're Rebecca Loome's alleged boyfriend?"

"Yes..."

"And you killed her."

"Yes..." His tone was dreary, his eyes were distant as he answered.

"Why?"

"I chose to disobey. The game was fun in the beginning, I thought I was given a chance to live another life. But it was messed up. I couldn't mess Rebecca up."

"Disobey? You meant Michelle?"

"Yes. I worshipped Michelle. She and Klaus mentored me, they taught me everything I needed to know. Together we are XIX. But I no longer share her vision, I had to disobey."

"Tell me, Jeremy, what was it that you disobeyed? What were the orders?" The detective seemed more enthused as Jeremy lit him the answers he's been searching for since day one. He's waited so long for this. And Jeremy doesn't seem to be interested in a lawyer.

"It's a sick complicated plan, detective. I was to befriend her, then lure her into thinking that I like her. I was sent to keep track of her, to make sure she was ready for the scheme."

"The scheme?"

"Michelle likes to put it that way. It's a sick game of knowing who'd turn up to be the nineteenth victim. She'll disillusion you, she'll make up twisted lies. And she does it for fun. Killing people no longer gave her pleasure, manipulating people into murder is her latest fashion."

"So you were to spy on Rebecca, the nineteenth victim?"

"She never told me who the nineteenth victim would be."

"Jeremy, if I'm on the right track, Rebecca Loome is not the nineteenth victim? Right? So why were you sent to her? Just part of the scheme? Is that it? Because if she wasn't the nineteenth victim, doesn't it seem a waste of time to lure her into all this?"

He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. His eyes were swollen, he felt hot despite the December breeze. "She was only a way to get through Fred Maxwell... and you."

"Me?" The detective replied in disbelief. "Why me?"

"Because she likes messing up with your head. She likes the fact that whenever she leaves clues, you never ace it. Look, Rebecca was simply a distraction, to make you believe that she's the Copycat, or whatever. But I've had it. This has to end. She had nothing to do with any of this, she was a pawn, like I am. I am The Copycat, I murdered those people. I sent you those e-mails." His eyes were slits of anger, his tone was heavy and imposing.

"You either seem to be very honest or simply delusional." The detective said and gave a short chuckle. This was far too easy to believe. Michelle wouldn't make mistakes like this. If indeed he was The Copycat and Michelle asked her to do all this, then she'd confirm it. The man opposite him was emotionally driven, he could tell. He did it out of emotional outburst. It was etched all over his face.

"She told me once she was fond of police officers." He said. "She said you were the hardest people to please, yet the easiest to manipulate."

The coffee on Judy's hand was already lukewarm. Her partner was speaking with the sheriff and she was left to look after Jeremy. They were going to move him into their custody, they haven't phoned their boss. Sometimes her partner could be so selfish and self-absorbed; he treats her like an apprentice rather than a partner. He always does things his way. She has let him undermine her for too long.