[Best] TWO

Recap

"Ready to go, Miss Carson?" Georgie asked from the doorway.

"No," Anya responded. "But lead the way."

xxx

AUGUST

"Are you absolutely positive she didn't leave any hints as to where she was going?" Ryland asked Anya for possibly the hundredth time that day. He wasn't home when Georgie drove her to the apartment building. She had attempted to settle in and fell asleep in the process. She woke up the next morning to Ryland banging on her door. Brielle hadn't come home either.

"All I remember from our conversation on the way from the airport to their estate was that she was thinking of visiting her grandparents in Canada."

"She's not there," Ryland stopped his attempt to wear a hole in her living room carpet and dropped down on the couch instead. "I've called her grandparents twice already. They're beginning to worry."

"I'm sorry I can't be of any more help, Mr D'Angelo," Anya frowned. Second day in the Big Apple and she already had no idea where her boss was.

"Not your fault, Anya," Ryland waved her off. "Brielle's as stubborn as a wild horse. You should be used to it by now. Have you had breakfast yet?"

"Do you mean lunch?" She watched him double check the time on his watch before bolting off the couch.

"Ah, shit, I'm sorry. The past few hours have been hell. I'll make it up to you. Can you be ready in an hour?"

"I only need half."

"Brielle's a good mentor," he laughed, picking up the keys he tossed on the coffee table earlier. "See you in a bit."

Anya thanked her stars she started unpacking the minute Georgie deposited her bags in the apartment. She was able to pick out an outfit, bathe and change in record time. While she waited for Ryland to come back, she tried Brielle's phone again. Anya almost cried in relief when her boss finally answered.

"I left you alone," were the first words she heard from the other line. "I'm so sorry, Anya. I'm such a bad friend."

"It's no problem, Miss Dalton. Although everyone is wondering where you are. I won't pry if you want your space, but can you please at least tell me you're safe?"

"I am. Don't worry. Are you still at the apartment?"

"Yes, Miss Dalton."

"Great. I'm on my way back there." The line went dead without any goodbye.

Ten minutes later, Anya heard shouting outside her apartment door. She hurried to open it and ushered the two inside.

"All I'm saying is that you shouldn't have disappeared like that," Ryland said through gritted teeth.

"It was only an evening, Ry," Brielle retorted. "I didn't even leave the city. If you had checked on your hotels more often, you would've known I was in one of them."

She walked past him into Anya's apartment and went straight to the kitchen.

"What is she doing?"

"Putting on tea, I imagine," Anya shrugged. "She does that when she's stressed. Come in and sit down, Mr D'Angelo. I'll make us some sandwiches. I found the kitchen fully stocked."

"Remind me to thank Sasha for that," he muttered. "I guess that's a no on lunch in the Big Apple."

"There's always next time," she smiled and headed to the kitchen to check on Brielle. She found her boss sitting at the table, her head buried in her arms.