[Best] ONE

Recap:

"I'm sorry," she choked as she stepped away from him. Turning to her parents, she repeated the only words that would come out of her mouth. "I'm sorry."

xxx

PART TWO – BEST

At first, Brielle thought it was part of her dream. How else would you explain a cellphone ringing while hiking through the Amazon rain forest? It stopped for a bit before it started again. This time she listened closely. It sounded like... Alex Gaskarth? The absurdity of the moment, coupled with Alex and Vic screeching about hearts on fire, woke her up. The muted glow of the digital clock on Ryland's bedroom wall told her it was only about two in the morning. It took her a couple of seconds to realize that the singing came from her cellphone. As she reached for the device, the caller ID on the screen made her heart drop into her stomach.

Detective Diaz

"Brielle," a man on the other line spoke before she could even say hello.

"Give me half an hour," she didn't give him time to explain. "I'll be right over."

Brielle dropped the call and carefully slid out from under the covers so as not to wake Ryland. She silently picked up the pair of jeans she wore the night before and one of Ry's hoodies before heading to the bathroom. When she left the bathroom, the bed was empty. Picking up her phone, she followed the smell of coffee to the kitchen.

"I'm sorry I woke you," she smiled apologetically. "I just-"

"It's Christian, isn't it?"

She nodded.

"Give me five minutes to change," He took out three tumblers from the cupboard. "Pour the coffee into these, will you?"

"Ry," she wanted to protest.

"He's my family, Brie."

Half an hour later, she and Ryland were walking into the 99th Police Precinct.

"I'd say it's great to see you again, Brielle," a hulking man stood up from his desk and walked towards them. "But not under these circumstances."

Brielle stepped forward and hugged him. "I know, Uncle Jake. I'm sorry. I promise I'll come over for dinner."

"D'Angelo," Detective Diaz nodded at Ryland over Brie's head.

"Detective," he nodded back. "What's he done this time?"

"Nothing too serious," he shrugged as Brielle moved out of his arms. "A little drunk and disorderly in a particularly shady area. A patrolling officer recognized him and called me. We got him out of there before things got ugly. I figured you want to keep this out of the press considering what happened last week."

A small but sad smile graced Brielle's lips. Today was exactly one month after that disaster of a wedding. To add fuel to the fire, it would have been Christian and Marie's second anniversary since becoming official. Despite claiming (under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol) that he always had second thoughts about their relationship, he really did love Marie. Loved her enough to at least go through with the wedding and try hard to make it work. Obviously, she didn't return the sentiment. No one has heard from Marie ever since she picked up her skirts and fled. Meanwhile, nearly the entire city was aware of the downward spiral Christian took after he was left staring at his bride's retreating dress train. After the first two drunken fights, Brielle had called in favors.

"He's in my office," the detective walked towards one of the offices across the bullpen. "I made Captain, by the way. Travers retired."

"I noticed," Brielle smiled. "Congratulations."