Chapter 7

I watched her chest rise and fall rhythmically. I gripped her small hand in mine, kissing it softly. Her radiant skin now seemed extremely pale. She looked so fragile on that bed. Her wavy locks laid across the bed, some on her face. I brushed them away, caressing her cheek with my finger. I observed the dried blood that remained where I had marked her. To know that I had caused her this was like a stab to my chest. It had been hours since I saw her collapse in my arms.....

"Alessa, love. Wake up for me, please. Let me see those beautiful chocolate eyes of yours, princess. I'm sorry I caused you pain. I shouldn't have marked you because of my insecurities. I'm so sorry, love. I promise never to doubt you ever again. Just please wake up for me. I'll do anything you say. Just please open those angelic eyes of yours, Lessa. I love you, princess. Don't leave me, please," I said, choking at the end. I felt my vision blur with unshed tears. I stood and kissed her head, wiping away the stray tears from my eyes. I sat back down and let my head hit the side of the bed. I let the tears fall as I laid a hand over her small waist. "Don't leave me, again," I croaked, looking up at her motionless face. I heard a door open, but didn't care to see who it was. A firm hand gripped my shoulder in a reassuring manner, yet I still didn't turn, knowing fully well who it was.

"You should get some fresh air, shower, eat and-"

"No," I firmly said, bringing her hand to my lips and wiping my eyes with my other hand.

"She'll be right here. She's not going anywhere any time soon. I'll keep watch until you get back," Sebastian said.

"I'm not leaving her side," I muttered.

"Take a quick shower and eat. It's an order," he said using his Alpha tone. I winced, but refrained from following that order. "I said, IT'S AN ORDER," he stated, his tone stronger than ever.

"I can defy your orders...I am above you when it comes to the safety of the princess...your princess," I said, turning to face him. He bowed his head in submission. I hadn't realized I had let my tone slip into my voice.

"I'm sorry....I honestly think you should go shower and eat. I don't think Alessa would appreciate you starving yourself," he said and walked away. I sighed and stood up, loosening my tense muscles ever so slightly.

'Sorry. Will you let me know if anything happens?' I mind linked him.

'Yes. Now get your butt to your room and shower. You stink!' Sebastian joked just as he entered the room again and sat on the chair that I had occupied not too long ago. I turned to Alessa, leaning down and kissing her lips softly. I caressed her cheek once more before nodding toward Sebastian and exiting the room.

************
I rushed into her temporary room as soon as Sebastian's frantic voice filled my mind. I pushed the door open and sped to her side. I gave Sebastian an expectant look and he began his explanation.

"She began to groan in pain...she's burning up," he said. I touched her forehead with the back of my hand and couldn't help but wince. Her skin was, in fact, burning up.

"Shit," I hissed. "No, this can't be!" I said.

"What?" Sebastian questioned.

"She's going through the change again," I stated.

"That's a good thing, isn't it?" Sebastian said. "That means she'll gain her powers, right?" he added. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat.

"Yes, but..." I trailed off, unable to finish the sentence. Sebastian gave me a worried look.

"But what?" he pressed.

"She....she barely survived it last time," I said, turning back to Alessa when she groaned in pain. I caressed her face, making her whimper when I pulled back slightly.

"You're saying she could..." he swallowed hard before continuing,"die?" I stiffened at the word, feeling like my world was slowly collapsing. I gripped the side of the bed as I felt my knees practically buckle.

"Dax," my angel said in a barely audible whimper. It had me on my knees in seconds, a painfully aching feeling tugging at my heart. And then, I was slammed roughly against a wall.

--------------------------------