1

“I just don’t get it.” Calum looked up at Holland and tugged on a piece of her hair.

“You just aren’t trying. Look.” She flipped her notebook around to show him the problem she was working on. “You just, apply the formula, then find the missing measurements.”

“We’ve been studying for hours and nothings helping, can’t we just take a break?” She sighed and closed their textbook and slipped it back in her bag. Calum was right, Holland felt like she had been at this park for hours, when it’s only been around forty five minutes. There was no getting through to Calum when he doesn’t feel like trying. He smiled when she put the book away, then laid his head down on her lap. “Are you gonna come to my show tonight? It’s in Brooklyn.”

“I have to work, in like an hour..” The truth is, as much as she loves supporting her best friend and his music career, she didn’t like his band, or like going to their shows. They were extremely talented, she just didn’t like to see the same thing almost every night. Holland prefered to be on stage with them. She clicked her phone to check the time, 4:15. Calum rolled his eyes and sat up.

“You always have to work. Doesn’t that asshole ever give you a break?”

“I love my job, for your information.” Holland worked at an old music store in downtown Brooklyn.

“And you love Z just as much.” He said bitterly.

“Are you jealous of Z?” She started putting all of her things away.

“Am I jealous of your extremely handsome boss? Yes, he has hair I would kill for.” Holland snorted, something she did rarely. “And it’s not like you’ve been pining over him since you got that job.” It was Hollands turn to roll her eyes. “And besides, what kind of name is Z anyway? Like that’s just an automatic label for asshole.”  

“Will you walk me to the train?” She was already standing, and waiting for her friend to get up. He held up his arms to her for her to help him up, which he mostly had to do on his own. They walked to the train like they did everyday, aimlessly talking about nothing until they got to the station. “I’ll see you.” Holland said while walking away.

“I’ll be here at 10 to walk you home.” He waved and turned to walk away. After showing the clerk her train pass, Holland boarded and tried to find a seat on her own, but as she could see there was only one seat open, and there was someone in the seat next to it. She sighed and prepared herself for the forty minute train ride from the Central Park station. Her mom always complained about how far away Holland worked, but she loved her job. After settling down in the last empty seat, she got out her headphones and plugged them into her phone, not even bothering to look at the person next to her. She just closed her eyes and pretended she was in bed. After awhile she felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked over to the guy sitting next to her, and took out her headphones.

“Jesus, how loud do you like your music. Could you not even hear me?” She shook her head no, not quite finding words because she was so awestruck by how handsome the guy talking to her was. “I asked what you’re listening to.”

“Oh, um” She cleared her throat, which she now realized was not an attractive sound. “I was listening to San Cisco.” He nodded slowly as if taking in this information was too difficult.

“Quality band, but have you ever heard Hoizer?” He raised an eyebrow at her.

“Oh, you mean God? I adore him.”

He grinned at her, his mouth was too big for his face, but he had nice lips and his teeth reminded her of the glow in the dark stars that she stuck to her ceiling as a child. He wore thick rimmed black glasses, and his chestnut hair formed a perfect wave in the front of his head. “I’m Kai.” He held out his hand and Holland took it to shake.