chapter 1

**After the interview, on the set of the BBC’s The Graham Norton Show**
(please click on “The Graham Norton Show” - it is a link to the interview. Watch it first if you want to know what’s going on in the opening scene!)

In between two Geordies, pop star Cheryl Cole and comedian Ross Noble, Katy pulled her arms back in a stretch before leaning forward in the sofa to reach for the glass she had been drinking throughout the interview. She tilted her head back allowing whatever remained to quench her thirst when Cheryl put a hand to Katy’s thigh saying, “I think you were drinking from my cup.” Katy glanced at her before placing the glass back down and studying the table; she noticed now that there were two full glasses to her left, but not two people.

“Oh my God,” Katy laughed, putting a hand on top of Cheryl’s, “I didn’t even notice that.” The two exchanged smiles before getting up and heading toward the back of the studio.

“You were so cute out there,” Cheryl said, her Geordie accent charming without fail. “I couldn’t believe you said that I ‘don’t need that Cole, honey,’” Cheryl told her, “You don’t need that Brand either.” She finished, nonchalant, her eyes lighting up as they spotted the desert table. Katy Perry Brand. Mrs. Brand. Katy felt his name cause a stabbing pain in her chest as it did every so often, her throat closing up momentarily, but swallowing did the trick and blinking quickly avoided the tears that formed. She was about to respond when Cheryl took a teeny bite into a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting the size of her hand and said, “I would love a cup of milk with this.” Cheryl’s hard caramel eyes looked up at Katy from her treat, not noticing the effect Russell’s name had on her when she was hidden from the cameras.

Katy was quick and took the opportunity to change the subject, “Well if you’re thirsty… I’m going out for drinks tonight with some friends, you should come. I’m sure they’ll have milk there, but I might be drinking something else. Either that or I just really like my milk bitter.” Katy said, nudging Cheryl’s arm with her elbow and then reaching passed her for an identical cupcake. “I’m going to get in trouble for eating this.” Katy let her index finger swipe a bit of icing from the cupcake’s top and licked it off. “Mmm,” Katy began unwrapping the cupcake now, taking a substantial bite.

“I suppose I could use something a bit stronger than milk meself,” Cheryl decided with a smile. Katy’s mouth was too full to speak, so instead she lifted her eyebrows up once, bringing them back down as she gave Cheryl a wink and headed toward her dressing room. She began swallowing her bite and with a hand covering her mouth shouted, “I’ll text you!”

Cheryl giggled and let out an “Okay,” no louder than her speaking voice.

That Night
** Hotel Suite **

“Shan, what are you wearing?” Shannon, Katy’s stunner best friend, walked out of the bathroom brushing her teeth in a black strappy dress that did her average bust great justice.

“This,” She mumbled over the brushing. Shannon did a spin and then turned back to the bathroom to rinse and wipe her mouth. “Katy, are you sure you wanna go out tonight? You have an early flight tomorrow.” Shannon was in the bathroom doorway now, leaning against its frame. Her expression showed deep concern, but it did nothing but cause Katy to roll her eyes.

“When has that ever stopped us?” Katy asked, pushing past the petite brunette to get into the bathroom, slapping her ass before closing the door on her so she could get ready.

** The Club **

Katy was in a strapless purple Chanel number with a black leather jacket, fishnet black stockings and black heels to match. Her purple hair flowed down past her shoulders with a flower headpiece woven in her hair behind her ears. She and Shannon had their heads down attempting to avoid the familiar flash of cameras as they entered their favorite club in London. At the front, she pushed past the line and leaned forward to lay a whisper in the ear of the man behind the desk, “Katy,” She said beginning to pull away before quickly adding, “Perry.”