CH 1: Reality Check

"Damn it", I curse as I realize that the rain is picking up on my way home from classes. I go to Emory University studying Business Analytics. It's always been a dream of mine to own a business one day. I don't have time to think about it as a car gets too close to the curb, splashing me with more water.

"Ugh, seriously!", I yell after it. "Watch where you are going!"

I'm going to go through this ally, I don't really mind I just want to get home. My body takes a turn between Nona's coffeehouse and the bus stop as I start walking through the allyway. I start shaking slightly, not because I'm scared but because I'm now soaked from head to toe. Just great.

Suddenly, my phone starts ringing and being in the location that I'm at now, I have no intention of picking it up. Thinking better of it, I pick up the call and start walking faster.

"Hello?"

"Hi is this the number of Vienna Roman?"

I looked back down at my phone to see that I didn't have the caller ID.

"Yes, who is this?"

"Hi, I work at Atlanta Medical Center. M'aam this evening you're mother and brother were involved in a fatal car accident. I'm calling to inform you that they didn't make it. I'm so sorry for your los-" I cut the phone before she could finish and start running back to my apartment.

My heartbeat is hurting me as it pounds out of my chest in a painful, crushing way as I race into my building and climb into the elevator. I can't breathe and I can't find it in me to cry, I don't believe that woman. Once I get out of these clothes, I'm going to call my mom and she's going to answer.

I unlock the door to my apartment and walk in. My fingers shakily dial her number, waiting for her to pick up. I call 12 more times before I start breaking down crying. Then, I dial again.

"Hello?"

"Amani? This is Vienna. M-my mom", I sob. "My brother.."

"Sis, calm down what are you saying? Do I need to come over? What's going on?"

"They're GONE!" I yell into the phone, sobbing louder than I ever have before, "They're gone oh god they're gone"

"Ok V i'm on my way, please hold on."

She cuts the call and I continue sobbing and pacing my living room. 15 minutes pass before Amani is banging on my front door. I open the door and she wraps me in a bone crushing hug. She is crying too and for the first time, she has no answers for me. Nothing to make the situation better.

Amani has been my best friend since freshman year of college and we've gone through everything together. In high school, she lost her boyfriend at the time to a motorcycle accident and then two years later, lost her older sister to breast cancer. She's dealt with a lot of heartbreak in her life, and I've been there for her just as she has been for me.

I can tell she wants me to explain more what is going on, but she doesn't push the topic and I'm grateful.

"Let's get you to bed. We'll talk more about this tomorrow"

I follow her to my room, where I change into dry pajamas and cry myself to sleep with Amani by my side.

----------

The sun is able to peek through a crack in the window, waking me up as I stretch and yawn. I stretch my limbs for a while until I remember why my eyes are so puffy. Looking over to my side to see Amani still asleep, a tear slips from my eye as I get up to shower and try to reduce my puffy eyes and tired face.