Chapter 24

I groaned as we got a place for Canada. Elizabeth stayed behind in the lab keeping in contact while we all went out.

    James was silent and didn't talk to me at all. I watched him distance himself, but right now, it didn't matter much did it?

    I shook slightly, it was happening wasn't it? I actually had to face my brother. I stopped when we got inside the hotel. I took a deep breath and squeezed my eyes shut. I turned and looked at James, but he avoided my gaze.

    Is this really how he intends to act now that its almost the end? I thought bitterly. I sat on the bed, I guess the other's were having it better in the other rooms instead of this awkward tension.

    "James, are you going to ignore me the whole time?" I snapped as he paced. He turned to me and I grit my teeth. So he does plan on ignoring me?

    He sighed and sat on the bed. "Why didn't you tell me?" He asked moodily. I grit my teeth and pinched the bridge of my nose.

    "As I see it, in the beginning I had no right. James, I forgot! I forgot and stayed in this... what? What are we James? I fucking love you! It was my mistake, honestly. Because of you I haven't been thinking straight! Because... of my stupidity I fell for you and put you and me both in danger," I tried. "I... I can't..." I sighed.

    I fiddled with my hands. What was I supposed to say? I didn't think of the consequences of any of this. I should have never been caught, I thought. I had nothing and no one to blame but myself for this.

    He sighed and looked at me. "Don't blame yourself," He said, "I am sorry it had to be me," he whispered.

    I snapped my head over to him, narrowing my eyes. "Sorry it had to be you? You were my first everything, to be honest. You were my first love, first kiss, first time, first everything, just don't be my first heartbreak?" I said slowly. "Don't be sorry because I would rather it have been you than anyone else. If I lose you, I don't think I could love again. You saw me before, it was almost impossible," I added.

    He lied back, "I don't believe that. You could find someone again," He said. I smiled at him bitterly.

    "James, I don't think you understand... I wouldn't ever find someone else. I would detach myself from human emotions, it wouldn't be the first time either," I said. "I love you James and I don't want to leave you, but I think that I have to," I added.

    He turned to look at me and sat up. He looked like he wanted to plead with me to stay, but he didn't. His eyes were swirling with emotions, like he didn't know what to say, he seemed lost. I almost wondered if he would hunt me down if I had hurt him.

    I leaned over and kissed him softly. He didn't kiss back and I pulled away. I sent him a small smile and stood. I shook my head and turned away.

    "I'm sorry James, I really am. This is going to be our last time seeing each other," I said. I felt my heart break, but I knew it had to be done. It would be bad for both of us.

--

    I stared at the building in front of me. Kaleb and Jonah were still on rocky terms with each other, but they understood when I told them that they had better listen to me and not fight. Mostly because of fear, I think.

    We all went our separate ways in our groups and entered the building. I took the back, James and Lukas took the front. Jonah and Kaleb were entering the way we were, but once we got inside we would have to split up.

    "Great, how are we supposed to get up there?" Kaleb asked. David, Jonah and I all grinned devilishly.

    "You are so lovely, Mr. Bounty Hunter... I think you know, but then again... you were not raised with the mafia," David sighed.