~ 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓁𝑜𝑔𝓊𝑒 ~

"I'd like to join as a nurse." The soft voice of Lila requested to the kind lady in-front of her as she wrote down names. After writing down all the necessary details and informing the lady- who was soon found out to be known as Judy- Lila informed her of her already profound knowledge of nursing and the skills she possesses proving herself to be useful. Lila left the stand feeling as though she has accomplished something in her life, something that will be of use to someone.

She traveled home- dreading to reveal the news to her family- not wanting to see their reactions but this had to be done. She couldn't sit here whilst both young and old men risked their lives for hers and others. She had to do something.

She arrived home and pushed the door open.

"Mum? I'm home." She called out carefully.

"I'm in the kitchen dear." Her mother's soft reply shouted out. Slowly and carefully Lila made her way through the house till she stood in front of where her mother was working- cooking the little food they have left over from this weeks rations, she was chopping some onion when Lila brought it up.

"Mum... I'm a nurse. I joined the army and I'm going off to train in a week." She calmly spoke- thinking maybe if she acted calm she will too- but she had never been so wrong in her life. Her mum dropped her knife onto the board in shock and turned to face her.

"...what?" She whispered.

"I'm leaving mum. In a week. I'm training for 3 months then I'm getting deployed to Dunkirk beaches to help the men mum. I can finally do something worth people's time."

"But you're my baby, you're just a sweet, sweet girl... you're not ready for war... you can't. You can't go!" Her mothers voice raised towards the end as her eyes turned red from the salty tears that started to fill them.

"I'm sorry mum. But I can't sit here whilst the men of our country are off fighting this war. Without me and all the other nurses they will die. All of them... do you want that?"