Chapter 8

"This summer is going to be ace." Zayn informed the other four boys while they waited for their food to arrive. They were sat in a local diner that they always used to eat at. Louis supposed they still ate here, it was only him that used to eat here. They sat in a booth with Zayn, Harry and Niall squished in on one side and Liam and Louis sitting comfortably on the other. Louis was looking around at the diner, seeing it really hadn't changed a bit. It still had the old beat up chairs and tables, the red booths still had rips in them, if not more, but Louis loved it all the same. It was a piece of home and Louis wouldn't change it even if he could.

"Yeah, we'll actually be able to score some beer without begging people to buy it for us." Niall said, grinning at Zayn. Zayn snorted.

"Who said you wouldn't have to beg? I want you on your knees, Horan." Zayn replied. Niall cocked an eyebrow at the him, a small smirk speading across his lips.

"Didn't know you swung that way, Malik." Niall commented, looking quite smug. The rest of the boys laughed, save for Louis because all though the joke was funny, he wasn't a snob and could appreciate a good gay joke, he just couldn't risk giving himself away and talking about stuff like that made him feel like he was in a spotlight with a sign hanging around his neck.

"Oh, piss off." Zayn grumbled, reaching over Harry to flick Niall on the forehead. It was Niall's turn to snort.

"And Lou's here, which makes it so much better." Harry said excitedly, grinning at Louis. Louis smiled back, then turned his smile on the rest of the boys.

"I'm glad I came back. Uni's been killing me, it's good to get a break." Louis explained.

"Is it really that bad? No breaks at all?" Niall asked.

"It's just- It's a lot of studying." Louis shrugged. He wasn't lying, it did involve a lot of studying but maybe not so much so you couldn't visit your family for two years.

"Really? My brother Greg says it's a lot of parties and hooking up with girls." Niall snorted. "But he's never been one for school... Just going to please Mum and Dad." Louis smiled nervously.

"Yeah, well... It also depends on what you're studying and how many classes you have." Louis shrugged, wanting to change the subject before it go onto topics he didn't want to talk about. "What should we do to kick off the summer?" Louis asked quickly,making the boys move on.

"We were gonna go down the beach tonight, take some beer and maybe go night swimming." Harry said."You're going to come right?"

"Yeah, sounds fun." Louis agreed. Their food came shortly after that and Louis quickly learned that although the boy looked small, Niall could sure eat. Louis wasn't sure where it all went but he ate not only his own meal, but he finished off Louis' chips when he got full, stole half of Zayn's sandwich and ordered desert. How he wasn't bigger, Louis had no idea. Once they were all done, they agreed to meet up in an hour to head to the beach which was a half an hour drive so by the time they get there the sun would be setting and it would be just perfect to go night swimming. Louis and Harry walked home since it wasn't too far, assuring Liam that they could handle the ten minute walk and that he could pick them up to go to the beach if he really wanted.

"I'm glad you're here, Lou." Harry said on their short walk, bumping his shoulder with Louis'. Louis smiled but still couldn't help but feel bad.

"Was it really that bad without me?" Louis teased but apparently this wasn't a joke to Harry.

"It's just a lot funner with you here. You make everyone laugh and everyone loves you." Harry complimented him but Louis didn't do well with compliments. He didn't understand how somehow could think that about him.