Chapter Three

I watch as Zach goes limp in the woman's arms. Her and another emt lift him onto a stretcher and begin to make their way downstairs. I couldn't stop crying, not knowing if my friend was ok. All I wanted to do was apologize and tell him I support him no matter what. I never meant for any of this to happen.

We follow the emt's out and to the hospital. When we get there we're forced to stay in the lobby.

"Jack you need to sit. All this pacing isn't helping." Daniel says softly.

"I- I can't. That's my best friend in there! My other half! I can't just be calm!" I snap.

"You make it sound like you're dating." I blush, furrowing my brows. Why am I blushing? I'm not gay he is.

"Zachary Herron?" I look over at the nurse, seeing her look at us with a pity smile. I walk up to her and she motions for us to follow her.

We walk up to a room and she pauses.

"He's not awake, but the doctor has some questions for you." She says, opening the door. I walk in and my face falls. There he was, wires and tubes all over his body.

The doctor looks up from his clipboard, motioning us over.

"Do you know where Zach could have come in contact with rust?" He asks, looking between us.

"I found him by a rusty ladder. Why?" Jonah asks, stepping up.

"He appears to have a cut on his hand, that when it made contact with the ladder, allowed Tetanus virus to get into his bloodstream." My face falls. He has tetanus.

I look over at Zach, his hair and face covered in sweat. This is all my fault. Wait a minute. Rusty ladder? Like the one by our house?

"What was he doing by the ladder? No one touches it cause it's so fragile." I question. Jonah just shrugs.

"He will be ok, but throughout the week he will have painful muscle spasms, and a fever. He will need lots of bed rest. Once he wakes up, we'll check him out again and he'll be ready to go." I glance over at the boy, frowning. Muscle spasms? He's going to go through that for a week?

"You may stay with him until he wakes up." He says, leaving the room. I move to the side of the bed, sitting in a chair. I grab his wrapped hand and rub my thumb over his knuckles.

"This is all my fault." I mumble. I lean over and lay my head on my arm.

"I'll go get some coffee." Jonah speaks up.

"I'll help." Corbyn says, leaving the room.

I look over at the sick boy, bringing his hand to my lips. He was strong. I believe he can get through this.

——————————————

I felt like absolute shit. I had to be constantly watched, in fear I would seize. I was currently laying in bed (as if I were to be anywhere else) attempting to watch whatever was on the tv. I was tired and I couldn't see the tv very well so I decided to just take a nap. My eyes slowly began to close as sleep takes over my body.

All of the sudden, my muscles lock up and my back starts to arch. I yell out as the pain flows through my body. A pinch of pain seeps into my side as my muscles relax once more. My eyes slowly open to reveal, a stressed looking Jonah.

"Is everything alright?" A voice whispers. Jonah's eyes move from mine to the doorway.

"Yea. Just another episode." I close my eyes, breathing heavily.

"Here Jo take a break, I'll watch over him for the rest of the day." I can hear Jonah hesitate before walking away. Familiar footsteps meet my bed and the sound of a chair creaking reaches my ears. I slowly open my eyes, glancing at Corbyn.

"Hey buddy. How ya feelin?" He asks softly, rubbing a washcloth over my forehead.

"I feel like shit." I mumble. Corbyn pulls the covers closer to my body as I shiver. I had about 4 blankets on but I was still cold. I was only in my boxers so that if need be, they could inject my medicine.

"You look like shit. It's okay though. The doc said you should be fine in about a week." He says, smiling softly. I attempt to smile back, but I'm too weak.

"You should rest. Try to get some sleep okay? I'll be right here." I sigh, but nod. I close my eyes once more as Corbyn starts to hum softly. I slowly begin to doze off, my lips parting as I let out a huff.

"Is he awake?" A voice asks softly.

"Just nodded off, why?"

"Just wanted to ask if he wanted some tea. I'll ask him when he wakes up. How's he doing?"

"He's getting there. He doesn't feel good, as expected, but he seems better than he was 2 days ago." I could feel the bed dip as the person sits, moving my hair from my eyes.

"Poor thing."

<><><><><><><><><><>

Ok so I'm no doctor, but I swear I did do research

Ok so I'm no doctor, but I swear I did do research. That and I watch Chicago Med and Greys Anatomy enough to know basic medical terminology. Anyways, I hope y'all like it, I swear it gets better 😂