Chapter 8

Sitara doesn't seem to notice the new needle mark in my arm. Although, there are so many I wouldn't notice either.

She hands me a smoothie and I ask, "No drip today?"

She shakes her head with a smile, "no drip today."

I slurp my smoothie thoughtfully.

"When is my next appointment with Doctor Death?"

Sitara's eyes go wide and she hushes me.

"Don't call him that. Not out loud at least," she whispers.

I roll my eyes.

"You'll see him next month. You need to get stronger and gain some body mass back."

I frown. "He can wait a month?"

"He's studying that other girl, Myrina."

"Oh."

"Does that mean my hair can grow back now?" I ask with hope.

"I don't see why not. We didn't really need to shave it off in the first place but there were tests Doctor Falco ran in which he needed it to be shaved off."

I let out a squeal of happiness. My hair has already grown quite a lot since that first shave and they haven't touched it since, so it currently tickles the top of my ears. I was dreading when they would shave it off again.

"Will they shave Myrina's hair?"

"I don't believe so."

"That's not fair," I whine.

Sitara laughs and ruffles my regrowth.

"Soon you'll be complaining about long hair," she teases.

"I look forward to when I do."

"Ready to join the rest of them?"

"Yip."

I shuffle to the edge of the bed and Sitara lifts me the rest of the way to my wheelchair. I grab the book I finished this morning and place it on my lap. Sitara hands me my smoothie and then pushes me to the common room.

Today, the twins, the girls, and Draven fill the room. Sitara leaves me in the same spot as yesterday, opposite Draven.

I hand the book over and chirp, "I'm finished."

He looks up at me with puffy, exhausted eyes.

"What were you doing to look like that?" I question with mild horror.

He chuckles. "I was running your blood and Myrina's blood in the lab last night whenever I could."

He runs a hand through his already messy hair.

"Did you find anything?" I breathe.

"You two certainly share the same abnormality. But what that abnormality is I don't know. Yet."

"Anything else...?"

He draws his eyebrows together. "I know it's not a mutation or anything like that. You two hold...how can I say this...different genetic makeup. Obviously you're human but something separates you and Myrina from the rest of us."

He rubs his hand harshly along the stubble growing on his jaw. He really looks like hell.

"Maybe rest for a bit and try again when your brain has had a break?"

"Yeah, you're right."

He collects his books into a pile and heaves them into his arms. He leaves one book on the table. He indicates with his chin, "that one is for you. I'll be in my room, sleeping, if you need me."