✿ Marilyn: Party Time ✿

THE DOORBELL buzzed and I bolted. Or would have if Mom hadn't secured me with a firm grip. She followed me to the foyer. My arms were paralyzed at my sides, so she had to reach around me to open the front door.

"Hi, Kai," she said to Kai. She just wanted attention and ruined my date.

"Hey, Mrs. Luna." Kai said. "Marilyn, you ready?"

I stiffened and forced a nod. I didn't want her to ruin this moment. It almost felt too real, but I was afraid I was daydreaming. Was this a date? I still was dreading to tell him the truth of what happened the other day with August and confess to him the biggest lie I have ever told about us being a thing. I couldn't do that in front of my mom though.

I turned and glared at Kai. He shrugged like, hey, I'm being nice. "I'll be home by eleven," I said, trying to act civil for once. "The very latest."

Mom smiled. "Have fun." Leaning closer so Kai wouldn't hear, she added, "Ten o'clock or else." Mom slammed the door in my face.

Bitch.

Kai said, "I swear she hates me. Did you tell her I was your boyfriend or something?"

"I might have," I said, digging a bigger hole for myself. If only he knew what I had told August. He would hate me, and I knew it would all be over. Whatever we had would easily evaporate.

A slow smile spread across his face. Checking me out under the porch light, he said, "You look good."

My brain sent the signal to act cool, but I forgot how. That made more sense in my head on how our conversation would go where I'd tell him he looked good too but I was too nervous to respond.

"This party's like halfway to Haverhill." Kai said. "We better get going."

Couldn't he see this was a mistake going out with me? I followed behind him to his car in the driveway.

His car was a silver Volkswagen. Dad's resentment had extended to me. He wouldn't even consider buying me a nicer car when I turned eighteen. He told me to accept my gift of being born like it actually meant something to him. It was a fact not a statement. I'd be old and gray before my parents even decided to have a heart, but they always said I was nothing but a failure.

Kai opened the door for me, and I was hit with a gust of hot air. The fuck? The car was idling, the heater on high. Kai slid in on his side and said, "If I turn the car off, you'll complain it's too cold. I kept the heat on just in case because it's cold outside."

I nodded like I understood. I barely even knew what to wear so I had to call Selena, who agreed on a dark blue puff sleeve minidress. It hugged my body, bringing out my curves and making me look more feminine. I was just hoping that this date would turn out well. "Makes sense." I turned to Kai, panting. It was getting hotter, and I was tempted to just get out and walk to our destination myself.

Kai shifted the drivers' stick and shifted it into reverse. Sweat was already embedded on my forehead. I had spent an hour on my makeup and now my skin was melting like candle wax. "Mind if I crack a window?" I asked.

I didn't wait for an answer, just pressed the button. The window glass rolled down, disappearing inside the door frame. It disappeared just like my conversation skills. I barely even knew how to start a conversation with him since we would just hang out with Selena or August rather than by ourselves. I was semi-comfortable with Kai, but I didn't know much about him. I remained silent.

As we drove, frigid cold air blasted at me through the open window. One side of my face was frozen solid, while the other side was hot. Kai merged onto the highway, and since he had to compete with the traffic now, shouted at me, "What kind of music do you like?"