thesamemistakes' Writing Tips. (To be continued)

So since I'm a perfectionist, I decided that maybe enforcing my own tips on other people may make them drill into me. I am in no way implying that my writing is perfect because it's far from it, and I am guilty of violating some of these tips myself, so technically, you could be a better writer than me by obeying all of these tips. These tips are biased, slightly harsh, bluntly honest, and probably offensive. If you're offended easily, I suggest you don't read. These are not all of them, but there's only so much I can write in one night so this will be updated from time to time and I will be adding things such as Character Development, endings and starters etc. so keep checking back for updates:) These tips are not law, and not everyone will agree with them, but like I said, they're biased and they're some of my biggest pet peeves. I have a habit of sugar coating things a lot, so this time, I'm trying extremely hard not to. I really hope they help and feel free to bring up any queries or confusions you have with me as long as you're willing to be polite and civil about it:) love youu.

-Emily.

-Probably highly cliché-ly I’m going to tell you to never give up. It’s such an overused phrase, but it holds so much truth it’s half surreal. When you first start a story, say on your first account and you know little people, let’s be honest, you’re not going to immediately have a thousand reads overnight. Unless someone highly popular promotes you, and I mean highly popular. Just because your story is slow at getting readers, it doesn’t mean it’s bad. It just means that the right people to read it – haven’t found it yet. And that’s okay. It’s so frustrating to put so much work into something and for it not to be recognised. But just because it’s not straight away, it doesn’t mean it never will be. Keep on putting chapters up; even if you’re convinced nobody’s reading, just keep on going, there is always someone who wants to read your work. Believe me.

-I’m not sure how much you can tell, but I love detail so freaking much. Detail is there to help you. Detail, detail and more detail. I’m sorry but I cannot stand to read something that holds zero detail. Detail is what makes things realistic, for example: Is it just a wooden table? Or is it a sleek, glossy mahogany wooden table, that catches the sunlight reflecting any images that cross its path, mirroring them in perfect, yet blurred, reflection? One of the most important things in writing is to make the reader to feel like they’re actually there. Make them feel like they’re in your character’s shoes. I highly enjoy writing detail, you may not, but you need to think about the finished product. You may be writing for yourself, but that doesn’t mean people aren’t going to read it, and when they do, you want them to enjoy it and find it realistic, right?

-These tips are for no particularly genre or style of writing, but since (so far!) all I’ve posted is fan-fiction. I have a major pointer on writing fan –fiction. Again: Realism. You need to come up with a solid, different, and non-cliché plot line. I’m sorry, but you don’t randomly win backstage passes for a One Direction concert, run into Harry Styles and instantly fall in love with each other all in the few hours you have been at said concert (no offence to any of you who have used this plot line) You have to be a really good writer to pull off completely, one hundred percent cliché plot lines. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but if you’re not J.K Rowling, or Nicholas Sparks, or any other insanely good writer, don’t expect to be able to pull off a cliché fan fiction with exceptional results.

-Also, I’ve noticed in some fan-fictions, said girl and celeb start dating when they’ve only just met. People don’t do that, at least I doubt celebrities would. I’m definitely not saying Picture This doesn’t violate a lot of these tips, because it does, and as you may know it needs and will have some major re-writing, when I find the time. But say it’s you, let’s say you meet Harry Styles in Starbucks, I doubt that ten minutes later when he has to run because of some fans, you’re going to be instantly his new and so in love girlfriend. Do you? It just doesn’t happen. So please, avoid it.