Chapter 14

Oliver hasn't talked since we left Florida. It's weird because he's always talking. Or insulting. This morning he was fine, acting the way he usually does. Then he went to say goodbye to John. He was gone for a while. I even thought we wouldn't make it to the airport in time.

When he came back he was quiet. He didn't even look at me. He hasn't. It shouldn't bother me really, but it does. What were Oliver and John talking about that it bothered him so much as to act like this?

I finally give in. "Oliver are you okay?"

"I'm fine Quinn."

"Did you and John fight? Do you want to talk about it maybe?"

"Why don't you learn to keep your nose out of peoples business?" He snaps

"I was just trying to be nice, you idiot. No need to yell. But at least I know you're back to your old self."

"Back to my old self? What's that suppose to mean?"

"Oh please. Like you don't know. You can't tell me that you don't know your a grumpy, rude, cocky little shit."

He laughs. "Me? No. No way. Now you, you are an annoying bitch."

I smile. "Aww thanks. That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me." I say sarcastically. I decide to turn the volume as high as it will go. I don't want to keep talking to him. I lean against my seat, recline the seat back a little. I should sleep, It's better than staying awake and having to be Oliver's company.

Soon my eyes become extremely heavy. I start to zone out the music, my body relaxing. I'm almost asleep, when the car jerks to the side.

My eyes snap open. I jolt forward, reaching for the lever to right my seat. I expect the car to roll over, a catastrophe waiting to happen. Instead I find Oliver, cackling with laughter.

I lay a hand on my beating chest with the other I lower the volume. "You think this is funny?"

"Oh come on, you should have seen your face." His eyes widen and his mouth hangs open, I'm guessing that's suppose to be how I looked. I push his shoulder and turn my head to the side to hide my smile. I'm mad but his smile is contagious.

The car jerks again but this time there's a popping sound. The car starts to veer off the road. "Oliver, this isn't funny!"

"I didn't do anything. I think the tire popped." The car shakes violently. He stops abruptly, the car lurching forward. I don't know why I do it. I think its because I'm scared, but I grasp onto Oliver's hand. Its warm, and it soothes my anxiety instantly.

For a moment the only noise is our breathing. I lock eyes with Oliver. His gaze slowly trails over my face all the way to our tangled hands. He tightens his hold.

"You okay?" He asks gently

"Yeah. Are you?"

He nods. He turns our hands almost as if inspecting them. Almost as if he were looking at something completely unnatural. Like an alien or something. But his handsome features never turned to disgust.

My heartbeat accelerates. I slowly detangle my hand from his. "I think we should check the tire."

I leave the car, and shake out my hand. I can still feel the warmth of his on mine. I stand in front of what used to be a fully working tire. Now it's just a lump of rubber still hanging on to the rim.

"You know how to change a tire don't you?" I ask Oliver, who now is by my side.

"Yeah?" He says almost like a question.