The Center

Published: Jun 10, 2019 

Although it took a tremendous amount of effort, Diamond managed to keep her eyes open all the way to the Center. It was quite the challenge because when someone like Madam Cry shows nothing but kindness, even in her time of need, security comes easy. With security comes relaxation. With relaxation comes rest. With rest comes vulnerability. With vulnerability comes betrayal. This is why she didn't fall asleep. While security may come easy, trust never did. With how things have been going, it probably never will. The door to the Center flew open, starling a few of the bittys awake. Night had already fallen when they returned, and Diamond silently thanked Madam for giving her shelter for the night. Times after sunset were always the toughest. Cry rushed into the kitchen and set Diamond down on a pile of freshly dried warm towels. Diamond sat up straight on the towels, mimicking how a dog sits when doing it's trick. Tired as she may be, she refuses to relax at a time like this.

Madam Cry opened a series of cabinets frantically trying to find something. Diamond kept a watchful eye on the rest of the kitchen, ducking behind the towels out of sight when a couple of concerned, but also curious bittys wondered into the kitchen to see what Mamma Cry was fussing about. She kept rummaging through the drawers and cabinets until she triumphantly retrieved the tiniest bathrobe from the bitty clothes. She quickly ushered out the curious bittys, telling them to go to bed, and that there was nothing to worry about. When the last one left to return to bed, Madam quickly coaxed Diamond out of her hiding spot and into the sink, where warm water was already flowing. Unsure, Diamond looked back at Madam for instructions. "See, you just take off your rags of clothes, step into the water and clean yourself. I have the special spike cleaner, and a washcloth beside the sink. I'll go fetch the curtain for privacy after you put on the bathrobe. I'll sew you new clothes tonight and give them to you in the morning. For now, you can wear the bathrobe," she explained.

Diamond nodded in understanding. She sauntered behind a stack of towels and changed into the bathrobe before folding her shredded clothes and passing them off to Madam Cry. The robe was comfy enough, being made out of towel-like material. The clothes were taken to a different part of the kitchen while the Mistress retrieved the curtain and left Diamond to clean herself. After hanging up the robe, Diamond hopped into the sink under the warm water. She didn't dare stay too long in there, in case she hadn't seen the last of the nosy bittys. She had experience in finishing things efficiently anyway. Five minutes passed before Diamond climbed out of the sink. She never realized how filthy she was. Mixtures of dried blood, trash muck, dirt, and other suspicious materials found their way onto her scales over the years without the resources or time to clean them off.

Now in her robe, Diamond shut off the water and started to search for Madam Cry's location. She wasn't to difficult to find her due to Diamond's ability to track down soul frequencies. It only works if Diamond is familiar with the owner's soul, meaning she had to have spent time around them to know the frequency at witch their soul hums. Every one individual has a different hum, a different song, and Diamond has the ability to pick out the differences between each one. Madam was in her personal quarters, busily slaving away at her sewing machine on Diamond's clothes. She appreciated the gesture, but knew that her clothes were enchanted garments, and would need to be completely altered to fit Diamond's dragon needs. She could see Madam was trying, though. She even attempted to fix the openings for Diamond's wings. She gave a grateful pity smile. At least Madam cared enough to fuss over her needs.

Diamond sat down near the sewing machine just beyond arm's reach, out of habit. She sat there, relaxed enough to lean back and enjoy the sounds of the night, because she knew that the bittys outside the room would only enter Madam's quarters if it was an emergency. So, judging the way the center was silent with nothing but the passing cars, crickets, and city sounds outside, she had nothing to worry about. A few minutes passed, and while Diamond was having the up most struggles keeping her eyes open, Madam finally took notice of her presence. "Oh! Hello, my Jewel. I didn't expect you to be out so fast. If life really was difficult out in the big city, I would've taken a two hour long shower! You looked like you really needed it," she hummed in a quiet voice.