Hunters [Prologue]

Cat

I looked over at Lauren and sighed. Her jaw was clenched and she looked straight ahead, not bothering to wipe the blood from her face. I put my hands on the steering wheel of my Bentley and gripped it tight until my knuckles turned white. "Dude, how long are you going to give me the silent treatment for? What did I do wrong?" She right reply, she just kept staring ahead. "I swear to God Lauren, what the fuck did I do?"

"You sold your goddammned soul, that's what you did." She snapped back bitterly. I just sighed again and threw myself back on my seat. "How long did they give you?" I rubbed my forehead and mumbled quietly, "Two years."

"You're such an idiot Cat. You shouldn't have done it." She rolled her eyes at me, giving me her best bitch face. I rolled my eyes at her and rest my elbow on the rolled down window. "And do what? Let you die? Bullshit. I can't live without you."

"So

I have to live with my best friend in hell? Bullshit." She said, mimicking my way of saying it. I rubbed my forehead, and sighed, saying softly, "I'm sorry okay? I really am, I just couldn't live with that fact that I could-should have saved you. It would have eaten away at me and I probably would end up going on a hunt and getting myself killed. I just - I'm sorry." I couldn't even force my eyes up to meet hers so I stopped at her chin.

Then I saw a small tear slip down onto her neck, and she said in a small, cracking voice, "I'm never going to be ready to let you go." I sent her a sad smile but didn't respond. I couldn't respond.

I started the car and heard it purr into life, a sound I always found comforting. I pulled out of the parking spot and started driving along the highway in complete and utter silence.