Chapter 11

The hardest thing Aditya ever had to do in all his thirty-three years was to walk away from the grief-stricken girl huddled on the floor of the dance studio. He wasn't capable of staying back to comfort her or to explain that he needed to get away from her before he lost all control again.

God knows, he had done enough of losing his head over everything connected to her of late. It didn't help that he knew and understood Jazzy too well - probably even more than his sister or Megha. Hurrying to his car, he slid in and started the engine before easing his car out of its parking spot and heading out to the main roads outside the large gates of the spa. Weaving through the traffic his thoughts were caught up with what had just happened between him and Jazzy.

She had shocked him with her disclosure and although he knew she shouldn't be left alone he couldn't take the risk of any more physical or emotional contact. Not when he felt like his gut had been ripped out of him. Watching her go through several boyfriends and her penchant for always diving headlong into what he had assumed was a relationship in every sense, he had been completely undone by what she had told him. Why hadn't she said anything earlier? And she had sounded almost ashamed when she told him. He shook his head absently, his expression grim in the rearview mirror. 

He was all wrong for someone so innocent. Nothing good was going to come out of it, at least for her. She deserved complete commitment and she deserved a man who would be faithful. He was no good with either, he knew that. Yet he had been unable to hold a simple conversation with other women without thinking about her. He hadn't had a physical relationship since breaking up with Mercedes and for some strange reason, he wasn't looking for one. He wanted Jazzy - real bad. She had completely filled every fiber of his and he felt incomplete when he didn't see her or talk to her. 

Damn. 

He hadn't had it this bad ever before. He felt the tightness in his chest remembering the passion and how he had almost taken her there in her dance studio. And knowing it would have been her first time had goose bumps rising on his arms. How was he going to protect her from himself? His vision caught the large sign on the road that told him he was heading out of the city.

For the next twenty minutes, he floored the accelerator, enjoying the feel of engine pulsating to life as it roared to its full potential when he hit the highway. Powering down his window, he let the wind in to blow his hair wild and free, enjoying the rush, the control, and the power. It felt damn good as he whizzed past the line of shade trees beside the road. He had unconsciously taken the familiar route to Megha's place. The sky was a cheerful blue and on impulse, he slowed and took a quick turn into the dusty road that would lead to the farmhouse. Some company would be good, he decided, scratching his rough chin. Relieved to have something to look forward to, he increased his speed, unmindful of the dust he was kicking up behind him.

Seeing Nik's silver jag parked next to Megha's old blue pick-up, he knew both his friends were home. Their grown-up pup came bumbling towards him as he climbed out, followed by Dhruv. "Uncle Aditya!" he shouted happily as he raced towards him.

Lifting him high up into the air, he asked, "Hey, how's my favorite person in the world?" Dhruv giggled while his dog yelped around Aditya's feet.

"Well, well, if it isn't the idiot who messed my best friend's head. What have you gone and done to Jazz?"

Sarcasm dripped from Megha's voice as she stood at the door, hands on her hips and wrath on her face. Behind her, Nik threw him a warning look over his wife's head of tumbling curls. If there was anyone in this world he feared, it was an angry Megha. He'd found a way to handle his mother, sister, cousins and innumerable girlfriends. But Megha? She plain terrified him. Aditya's gaze skimmed over the couple in front of him quickly. Oh yeah, time to run for cover. Nik had a worried expression while his wife was already spitting fire. "Er....looks like I'd rather choke on my tongue than come in for a social chat," he muttered as Nik quickly came forward to throw his arms in a brotherly hug.