08 - the scent of a man-eating demon

"I- I'm really sorry!"

The boy with the checkered-pattern haori bowed down his head so low, forehead touching the wooden floor, both hand beside his head.

"I never thought you're the pillar I'm going to meet!" He continued to aplogize, cold sweats on his skin, completely afraid to what his superiors gonna do.

Beside him were his yellow and boar friend, the breath of lightning user had a scared look plastered on his cute face, tears on his eyes while Inosuke just stayed silent all this time, observing the woman in white-kimono through the eyes of his mask. That very woman observed them back with that pale violet eyes of hers.

"No, it's okay. I'm just shocked because you suddenly attacked me out of nowhere." Chihiro, the woman they apologized to, smiled sheepishly, waving her hand to assured the scared boys.

They're now inside ths Headquarters, half-dry, half-wet, from the rain outside.

Nezuko now had gotten back to her smaller state, staying beside the Blossom Pillar's side, hugging her waist while her head lean over the Pillar's body. Her innocent eyes and face looked up to her. The Pillar looking back down to the small demoness, a warm smile scretched on her serene face, kindness spreads on her orbs. She brought her hand to the demoness' head, stroking her hair softly. Nezuko's eyes closed, cheeks flushed, completely relaxed.

"I'm sorry too, I almost decapitate your little sister." A sad smile now replaced her warm one as she gazed back to the big brother.

"Ah.. No.. Really, it's my fault." Tanjirō now had his head up, still looking down a little, his hand scratch his head's back, completely embarassed. "Ah." Something seems to struck his mind.

"Yes?"

"Now that you talked about it, why didn't you appear on that Pillar Meeting back then?"

Shinobu's eyes focused on the younger demon slayer.

"I already told you, her existence is supposed to be a secret. We can't have the kakushi to find out about her, right?" The Insect Pillar, sitting on the Blossom Pillar's other side, explained on her friend's stead.

Oh, yeah. The kakushi. The clean-up brigade of the Demon Hunters.

"That's right, I'm sorry, I didn't think about that." Tanjirō decided to close his mouth, despite the hundred questions on his mind.

"Umm.. Is your little sister okay? She have been like this ever since that incident. I- It's not like I don't like it, but..." her cheeks flushed red, hand still stroking Nezuko's head.

Tanjirō's eyes widened. "Ah, about that. I think she saw you as our mother."

"Your mother?"

Tanjirō proceeded to explain about what happened to him. About that day, when he lost his family, and the day Nezuko turned to a demoness. The day he first aware of the existence of Kibutsuji Muzan despite knowing his name later on.

"B- But, our mother was, is, a great beauty, just like you! So it's no wonder Nezuko-"

A soft chuckle left her throat. A smile still adorning her pretty face. Crimson crept to Tanjirō's cheeks.