54

The whumpie groans as he tries to sit up in the deep muddy pit that he was tossed in. He could still hear the faint cruel laughter of his captors as they walked away leaving the poisoned whumpie to die. His chest grew heavy as he struggled to capture some breaths of cold air that felt like he was swallowing sewing needles. His head buzzed loudly like an angry beehive, his face sweating from fever; his body was stiff and buzzed with pain, he felt limp and lifeless like he were a pot of half-cooked spaghetti.

Hours passed by and the moon was now hovering over the pit. The whumpie forced himself to stay awake thought his body begged him to rest. He strained to sit up against the wall of the pit but the mud was too slick for him to gain some friction and made it feel like sitting on ice. With slightly hopeful eyes, he gazed at the opening of the pit knowing that help would never arrive but with the slightest and smallest of chances, he held on to the possibility that someone, somewhere, would be able to find and rescue him. But he knew that deep down in his poisoned, weakened heart that it wasn't true. The agonizing reality he had to face was that no one was coming to rescue him.

Tears brimming in his eyes, he rested his head in the muck; the muck cupped around his head and molded around his face covering his ears and blocking out all sound. As his vision faded in and out he accepted his grim fate and, giving up the fight, allowed the muck to consume him. The mud crept up, taking its time inching towards him like a python about to swallow his victim whole.

With blurred vision, he looked up at the moon just one last time, knowing that this would be the last thing that he would ever lay eyes on in this world. As the mud closed over his mouth he noticed that the moon was getting closer. More like something in front of the moon was getting closer. Its black silhouette was shaped in a way that it almost looked like it was a human. Then the silhouette seemed to grow larger as the mud blinded him and all he knew then was darkness...