She Falls to the Sky

Swiftly, swiftly she rides the beast through the Western Current, nudging the reins to make him para-glide. His giant furry wings blows the clouds in front of them away so they can see where they are going.

She presses her right knee into his side and he turns to the right with an echoing cry, alerting any other rider in his medium of his presence.

It is a matter of minutes now before the air becomes black and still, leaving the clouds to glow and illuminate the path.

'Faster, Asta!' she cries to the beast.

Asta takes in a long pull of air, expanding his body and releases it, the exhale pushing away clouds in front of them. More energy pumps to his wings and he beats them harder and faster, propelling them forward with greater velocity.

She is now able to relax her position and she starts to think through different strategies in her head. The news is that The Lady is in danger, of what, she doesn't know, but she does know that she has to get there quickly, after all it is her duty as one of the The Lady's two hands to protect her. She wonders if, Farr, the other hand is already there.

She gently pulls out a feather-like fur from the back of the beast and sticks it in the gap between two upper front incisors.

She needs do this just once more, finish protecting The Lady today and she is free of service to The Lady. She wonders what she'll do. Lo-aare is her sweetheart, they've flitted around the matter of getting tied but they haven't been serious about it. She hopes he'll agree to have them tied soon and they'd be a couple and do things together.

Then there is her dream.

The rumours.

There has been the ever present rumour of another world. Below their world is the sky, where most of their old clouds migrate to, and below that sky is said to be another world full of wonderful creatures and solidity. But discovering it has proved to be difficult, their old clouds has been settling for so many years and has become thicker and endless. A flying beast never goes more than two and a half stretches before it cries and turns back.

It has been her dream for years now to be the first person to discover that magical world. She'd started to train Asta right from when he was a beastling and she a child to surge through the thickest clouds and overcome the fear that grasped other beasts. She is very certain they can find that world together, then she'd prove all those people wrong, all those who believe she's loose in the head to believe the rumours. It is practically only Lo-aare who at least seems to believe her. Thinking about him, would he be willing to leave his meteorology profession and join her in the discovery of that world? Well, she'd have to find something to do about it.

Asta's slight moan catches her attention and she notices that it has already become dark. For how long it had, she isn't sure. It is getting late, they still have five three-quarter stretches to go before they reach the end of the Western Current - where the lady is.

'Haaa!' she hollers and nudges the reins.

Good Asta understands her urgency, he gives a loud cry and goes faster. Faster. Faster. From a distance they are a blur whispering through the accumbent clouds and blowing them out of proximity.

Soon the Western Current starts to get lighter like the trailing tip of dawn, signaling the near end of their flight. It never gets dark at The Lady's, unless she wants it. They burst through the clouds and the Grand Edifice comes into view in all it's glory. The building is made from the finest cloud, woven with the finest monsterthread by the finest men in the kingdom. A hovering bridge spans the divide between the Grand Edifice and the gates. She gently pulls the reins and the beast slows to a glide to ascend a gap and land on the mouth of the bridge.