xvi.

Chapter Sixteen:  "The Reality Stone"

Wanda's eyes forced themselves open. Her vision was blurry for a moment, but she noticed the room she was in was annoyingly bright.

"Wanda..." a voice called from beside her. She shook her head
trying to rid herself of the pain.

"Get the lights off." She found herself muttering, reaching her arm up to block it.

"Wanda." Logan repeated, moving her arms away and turning her head to face him. Her eyes were only half open, feeling so heavy she might fall back to sleep.

"What happened?" She asked, her eyes adjusting on Logan who stared down at her with concern.

"We were hoping you could tell us that." Logan spoke, resting his hand on Wanda's arm.

"I touched... the aether— the red thing inside it." Wanda said, moving away Logan's hand and sitting up.

"Charles figured as much. He's just shocked by how you survived after touching the stone." A few of Wanda's memories came back to her, but her mind was stuck on Logan's words.

"The stone?" She asked, turning her head to look at him. Was that what it had been? It hardly looked like a stone to her. She remembered what it looked like, a deep red glow. That was all. She had only reached out to it because...

"That's what it is, isn't it? An infinity stone." Logan said, and she cringed at the unfamiliarity of the word.

"Stop that." Wanda said out of nowhere, bringing a hand to her head. Logan tilted his head in confusion.

"Stop wha-"

"You're thinking too loudly." She grumbled, rubbing her head and trying to sooth the burning pain.

Her head shot up at the door, the same moment Charles came in with Jean by his side. Like she had known they were coming.

"Wanda, how are you?" Jean asked, coming around to Wanda and rubbing her shoulder comfortingly.

"It's bright." Wanda said, still hoping someone could at least dim the lights.

Jean acknowledged Wanda, heading over towards the lights to dim them.

"Professor, what happened?" She asked suddenly, turning to Charles. He hesitated for a moment before coming closer.

"Wanda you came into direct contact with an infinity stone." Charles said, and Wanda shook her head.

"You keep saying that but won't tell me what it is." She stated frustratedly, slumping her shoulders. Charles looked over to Jean who nodded, before proceeding.

"Long ago, the Big Bang sent six elemental crystals hurtling across the virgin universe. These Infinity Stones each control an essential aspect of existence: Space, Reality, Power, Soul, Mind, and Time." Charles explained, capturing both Wanda and Logan's attention. He never cared much for whatever an infinity stone was, but the power he had witnessed from the one Wanda came into contact with, well maybe that was worth some attention.