your girlfriend

~song inspo: your girlfriend, abbey glover~

Michelle scanned the party through narrowed eyes, shrugging off everyone her age drinking until they were even more stupid, if that was possible. Trying to refocus on her book, her eyes lingered on the living room couch despite her best efforts. Your shoulders shrunk deep into the cushions, as if you were trying to disappear completely. Even though your boyfriend slung his arm over you, it wasn't loving, it was possessive. His thumb scrolled past message after message, all from other girls he continually claimed were "just friends."

The lights were dimmed, music turned up so high the vibrations sept into your ears, making them throb. You stared blankly ahead at the swarm of teens dancing so close, spilling their colored plastic cups filled to the brim with repelling concoctions of alcohol and something else.

Michelle couldn't tear her eyes apart from you, from your slightly trembling lips to the unnoticeable teardrop rolling off the side of your cheeks. You practically screamed lonely, and he didn't even seem to care. She didn't know much of you, but she already knew you weren't like the rest. A pang of pity swept through her chest before she could push the feeling off; Michelle never liked revealing her emotions. Bringing the book up to hide her face, she finally dropped it back to her lap, deciding to give up on the complicated words altogether.

Nervous energy traveled to her shaking fingertips as she returned her gaze to the couch, your previously filled spot now empty. She flew to her feet, shoving past sweaty bodies to find where you had gone to. Catching a glimpse of your blush-pink sweater, her long legs rushed to meet you, even though she didn't have a single clue of what to say. The bathroom door swung wide open, then slammed shut just as she reached the spot.

Pressing an ear to the wooden door, MJ could make out muffled cries and inward gasps for breath. She pulled away, feeling like an intruder as she turned around to leave you be, but her feet stuck to the ground, legs stiff and immovable. Sighing, she quickly spun on her heels, hand gripping the doorknob for a mere second before pushing the door open and slipping in. Your head jerked up as you leaned across the countertop, water pouring out from the sink to splash onto your flushed cheeks.

"Sorry I–I forgot to lock the door," you stuttered, lifting your arm to grab for a tissue. Michelle dived forward, pulling it out of the box to hand it to you herself. Accepting the unusual kind gesture from her, your breath hitched as your fingers brushed against hers. She gently wrapped them around yours, giving your hand a gentle squeeze and a warmth wandered up throughout your whole body. Fist enclosing over hers, Michelle watched the way your chest rose up and fell back down rapidly, not sure of what that meant for the two of you.

In fear she snapped her hand back to her side, taking a giant stride backward, distancing herself from the way your touch made her heart beat faster than it should. The words tumbled from her full lips before she could hold them back and reconsider their weight.

"He's a dick and I– someone, could treat you better than that," Michelle blurted out, feeling paralyzed at her slip-up and hoped you wouldn't notice. You definitely noticed, choosing to pretend you hadn't to make the situation less awkward.

Your throat dried up, words sticking to the roof of your mouth like glue, and all you could do was bob your head up and down speechless. Frightened by the effect you had on each other, she nodded back before ducking out the door as quickly as she had came in. Sinking back against the wall, you slid down to the floor, picking up your hand to examine, the butterflies still tingling over your palms.

***

Stepping into english class, your eyes immediately fell on Michelle, cowering in a desk in the back row immersed in another thick book. She didn't even blink as you slid into the desk next to her, just buried her face deeper into the crisp, white pages. A tiny frown passed over your lips until you forced the corners of your mouth up into a persistent smile.