[4- Sebastian]

“I’ve never seen you so out of your game, man.” Lance commented at Sebastian as the slowly tried to walk the night away, going home.

            The New York night air was at its typical crisp, cool self. The men’s hands were tucked into to their pockets and their collars were raised a little higher than how they would usually wear it, but not Sebastian who surrendered his coat to Alice as a peace offering, his hands were just tucked in deep into his pockets. They left the bar immediately after the girls did. Lance’s friend assured them that everything they had the night, including the girls’, was on the house. It was the original deal made between him and Lance, but Sebastian swore the man had only totally relieved them due to sympathy over what had happened.

            Sebastian wanted to so hard to move past it. He expected the walk to his bike to be a quiet one, only to be filled with the sounds of late traffic, night shippers, crickets, and other night thrives that the city was famous for, and that the only words that would be exchanged between him and Lance were “goodbyes” and “see you tomorrows”. He forgot that Lance was the type of person to talk things through.

            “No, actually, that was my plan all along,” he scowled, “have her hate me, and then realize that I was the dashing prince in her dreams.” His mood was downright sour that sarcasm was the only language left on his tongue. He already made plans to write back to his Darling the moment he got home. It was an activity he was sure that would cheer him up enough to have a peaceful sleep. He thought writing some charming words to a lady would hoist up his self esteem and get him back on his feet.

            “Sorry,” Lance mumbled, putting his head down, wishing he didn’t speak before. But then he looked up again to see his friends face. “Seriously, though, are you okay?”

            What was it with Lance and his urge to care? “I’m fine, Lance.” Sebastian assured, trying his best not to sound harsh. “Come on, every guy has his off nights.” In truth though, the man was shaken up. Alice’s big brown eyes of hatred were still flashing in his mind. The tears she refused to shed were the tipping point. Never had he made a girl so angry. He had never even made his own mom that angry, and he was “the bad one” in comparison to Emily. Fact was, she had heard every insult he was supposed to throw at her back. She heard him call her Beast. She heard him prefer her friend over her. He could have redeemed himself by calling her beautiful, but he ruined it by nicknaming her “Sassy McSarcasm”. He told himself to never be plain mean to women. It wasn’t cool. “I just hope paying for my damages would be enough.”

            They arrived at his motorcycle that was parked at the end of the block. There wasn’t a good parking spot near the bar. Lance watched as his friend saddled on to the seat and put on his helmet.

            “You want a ride home?” Sebastian offered, his voice slightly muffled by the gear.

            He shook his head, “Nah, thanks. I’d rather walk.”