Two

Two

Buzz

Buzz

Buzz

After the third violent vibration, my phone stills, but it's already too late. I'm awake. I groan and roll over on my bed and pick it up. Who is it and why are they trying to contact me before eleven in the morning?

The answer stares up at me on my lockscreen. Kacee's contact picture and a message notification. I look at the time.

Why is she up at seven forty-five?

I consider rolling over and going back to bed, but it's Kacee. I groan and unlock my phone.

Get up. We're going out to breakfast.

I groan louder. I drop the phone on the bed next to me and roll over on my stomach, burying my face in the pillow. I'm just drifting off again when the door flies open.

"I thought this was going to happen, Colt," she chuckles from the doorway. My head stays in the pillow.

"Why are you here?" Dumb question.

"Please, you never ignore my texts," she snorts as she pulls jeans and a tee from my closet.

"I'm assuming it's pointless to ask how you got here."

"Colton Scott, you gave me the key yourself."

"I'm starting to regret that day."

The pillow is removed from beneath my head and whaps me in the back of the head.

"No, you're not. You have a tendency to forget your keys, and without me, your parents would've killed you a long time ago. And you haven't given Megan a key, so don't try to pull that card."

I wince a little in the pillow. I try to forget that I haven't given my girlfriend a key to my house yet. Kacee bites her lip, a habit she's developed.

"I'm sorry, Colt," she murmurs softly, "I know she pesters you about it often."

She does. I had given the spare key to Kacee only a few weeks before I started dating Megan, but we had gotten far enough along in our relationship to have the topic come up, and I refused.

I just wanted to avoid an awkward situation with Megan if we broke up and she would have to give it back to me. Kacee's offered more than a hundred times to give her key back, but I want her to have it.

Best friends like us don't break up. We can't.

"It's fine, Kace."

"Okay. Good. Now up, we're going out to breakfast." And she turns back to the closet throwing out a pair of Vans for me to wear.

"Why do we have to go out?" I moan.

"Colton, preseason for football starts tomorrow and preseason for volleyball starts Wednesday. We'll both be so busy. And, we were due for another day out together, like we always do."

I sigh. She always wins these arguments, but I'm a pushover when it comes to what she wants. It's part of the friendship we have.

Keeping the sheets tightly wrapped around the bottom of my torso, I roll over and sit up.

"Give me five minutes," I say. She squeals and claps her hands together.

"I love you Colt, you're the best."

Seeing the grin on her face is worth getting up this early.

---

"You have syrup on your face," she giggles through a bite of her omelette. I pick up a spoon and dip it in some of the whipped cream and make a streak across her nose.