twenty seven

Veronica.

The day I most dreaded was back, Monday.

Shawn and I hadn't spoken since the incident but I didn't care. Shawn and Sabrina barely spoke; it was weird. Everyone else noticed it too. They'd slept together the night before but not a single word to each other, who knows? Maybe one of them regretted it but it was none of my business.

Shawn still sat next to me in class but spoke to the people around him instead. I still felt his stare settled on me sometimes. The teacher was still speaking and it was almost the end of the lesson, "Shawn?" I nudged him after he stopped writing.

He looked up at me quickly, "Can we talk at lunch?" I asked him quietly and he nodded. I noticed the sides of his lips turn up slightly.

The bell rang and everyone left the classroom. As soon as I stepped outside I saw more pictures of me attached to a large row of lockers but this time they were older pictures. From before the whole thing with Ariel even started and there was still a red cross on my face; the word 'whore' in red letters. I could see that people were as confused as me, some began to take them down.

"Who did this?" Shawn asked angrily as he stood at the lockers facing everyone who had gathered around them. I stood at the back of the crowd but people had cleared the way to allow me to see what was going on.

"I saw a girl earlier with a stack of paper and tape, I didn't know this was what she was putting up, " someone in the middle of the crowd said.

"What did she look like?" Shawn asked once a girl stepped forward.

"She had light blond hair, quite pale and she was wearing a black hoodie when I saw her, " the girl explained, "but I've never seen her around school before, I don't think she even goes here, " she added nervously.

Before Shawn could respond we heard the principal's voice, "What are you all standing here for? Is there some sort of issues?"

Some people shook their heads but most stayed quiet, "then get going, you should all be in class right now unless you want after school detentions," he told us before we took off to our lessons.

Shawn rushed to me, "I'll get to the bottom of this, I promise," he assured me but I didn't believe him, I just gave him a tight-lipped smile before we parted ways.

-
It was lunchtime and I made sure to tell Alessia about the pictures after first period. She was angry but her rambling came to an end when we heard a cough. It was Shawn.

"You said you wanted to talk, right?"

I nodded and gave Alessia an apologetic smile before Shawn and I walked out of the cafeteria.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for the way I reacted a couple days ago, I should've spoke to you instead of leaving you in the dark," I spoke truthfully.