Creature in the mist

It was midnight and I was sitting on the doorstep of my girlfriend's house because I was waiting for her to let me in. At 11:30 p.m. she send me a voicemail, she sounded on edge and frightened and talked about how she made a "mistake" and so I immediately got on my way. Minutes pass by and everything was very quiet, terrifyingly quiet.
There was no car, no human and not even animals, not even crickets or other insects.
At half past midnight I decided to break in because she might be in real fucking trouble by now, so I kick in the door which leads me into a dark hallway, actually it wasn't dark it was black almost vanta black even.
The lantern behind me emitted enough light usually but this time the light was almost swallowed by the darkness before me.
I stood there, paralyzed by fear but still willing to search for my girlfriend so I took a deep breath and slowly walked into this nightmare.
After about five steps I noticed a thick mist that was filling the room slowly but surely.
The mist was so thick that even my own steps began to fall silent with every centimeter that I proceeded through this hallway. Suddenly a firm grip grabbed me and pulled me into a room that was next to me I wanted to scream but another hand was holding my mouth shut. I thought it was over but as I heard a familiar voice go "shush you idiot." I was feeling kind of relieved but also quite shocked.
I slowly began to see her face, Karen, a friend of mine but why is she here?
"Don't even breath, we are in severe trouble." She said with a threatening voice and I just nodded slowly to show her that I understood even though I didn't at all.
We laid there for several minutes when suddenly a strange deformed humanoid creature passed us without paying any attention to us but rather the girl behind us.
I didn't see her at first but then I realized that it was my girlfriend, it didn't seem to attack her but she seemed to control it.