Part 1

~Morning of India vs Australia, 3rd Test, Border Gavaskar trophy 2018~

This was not how it was supposed to be.

Rahul has been congratulating him and grinning and joking all morning-- but this was not how it was supposed to be.

Mayank knew. Mayank knew perfectly well that he was getting his cap at the cost of his best friend's. Their dream had been to open for India together, and not Rahul getting dropped and himself getting in.

________________

14 years back...

He had been selected in the Karnataka Under 13 team as opener. The other opener was someone called Kannaur Lokesh Rahul.

The first time they spoke was in the moments leading to their first match, after their coach Arun sir told them to decide who'll take first strike.

Mayank had been nervous, shy, unwilling to say anything.

"I'll take first strike," offered Rahul, full of confidence.

He did, and he played much better that day. Mayank's first match was a flop. However, after that, he caught up too, and soon 'Rahul and Mayank' were indispensable in the team.

Mayank remembers how he envied Rahul initially. It was always Rahul and Mayank. They were often thrown together, and Rahul always walked one step ahead. Rahul always spoke with more confidence. Rahul had always been the apple of their coach's eyes.

Mayank resented it all.

Rahul didn't seem to have a heart at all. He didn't seem like an ordinary 13-year-to Mayank, till one night after a match of theirs had ended in defeat.