Part 3

"I'm sorry, Bhavna," he sobbed on the phone and began crying in earnest.

"No, don't--don't," hissed Mayank. "It'll only upset her!"

Bhavna said something on the phone and Rahul continued sobbing. "I miss you too... I miss you so much..."

Something about the lost helplessness in the normally over confident and cheerful Rahul's voice went straight to Mayank's heart.

He put his arm around Rahul's shoulder and gave him an awkward one-armed hug.

Rahul was so surprised that he stopped crying and turned to look at Mayank, who looked away, rather embarrassed. Mayank released hum and tried to move away, but Rahul wouldn't let his hand go.

By the time Rahul had spoken to his sister and parents, he had quieted down a bit.

"Bye, Dad," said Rahul finally, and he cut the call.

A silence fell. Mayank and Rahul couldn't quite meet each other's eyes.

Mayank glanced down at Rahul's hand holding his, and Rahul, noticing that, released it quickly, his face flushed with mortification.

But Mayank couldn't say anything, and he didn't see why he should, seeing that Rahul was the confident one anyway.

Maybe Rahul realised that, too, because he finally said, "Would you come to my room for a bit?"

Mayank nodded at once, and they went.

Rahul had a multi player video gamer, and they sat down to play one of the 2-player games recommended by him.

They played five matches, and Rahul was leading 5-0, and in a very gloating mood.

"You can't play at all," he said.

Mayank scowled. "Let's swap controls."

At first, Rahul was reluctant to give up his control in case Mayank's idea was correct. But Mayank demanded it so insistently that he didn't have a choice.

They exchanged controls.

And the next match's winner was Mayank.

"Ha!" cried Mayank in triumph. "So you had tampered with the controls!"

"I had not!" protested Rahul indignantly. "Let's try again."

They did, and Mayank won again, and by now, Mayank's smirk had become unbearable.

Rahul began to believe that someone had really blessed one of the controls too, and they starting tossing for it before each round.

It was nearly 11:30 when Arun sir came and exclaimed in horror, "You two are still awake! It's an hour past your bed time!"

Mayank jumped up from the bed hastily. "We're sorry sir, we're really sorry!"

Rahul apologized too, and Arun sir, who was extremely fond of both of them, instructed them to go to bed immediately. Then he left.

Mayank took up his phone and looked at Rahul rather nervously still. "G'night!"

As he was going, Rahul said, "Hey! Couldn't you stay here today--y'know--"

Mayank turned back, surprised. Rahul's face was all flushed again.

"--there's enough space on the bed, really," said Rahul, and now he was the nervous one.

"All right," said Mayank, unable to help a huge grin on his face.

So they slept in the same room that day, and somehow from the next day, they became inseparable.

Now that Mayank had seen that Rahul also had a human side, he no longer resented good confidence and leadership. Rahul was also full of suprises, which was a great thing to have in a best friend.

It was kind of accepted among everyone that 'Rahul and Mayank', openers of Karnataka Ranji team, are best friends, and will open for India someday... together.